My Mac collection makes me feel like a hoarder.

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by ctmpkmlec4, Oct 11, 2014.

1. ctmpkmlec4 macrumors 6502

ctmpkmlec4

My wife doesn't give me much grief about my collection of computers. When we first met, I owned a Compaq laptop that was brand new in 2008. Things changed when I came across a Grape iMac G3 for sale in the local classifieds for $30. She told me the story of how she owned a nearly identical iMac when she was in college at Kansas State and how cool of a computer she thought it was. (For those of you who don't know, K-State colors are purple and white, so it would make sense that she owned a purple iMac). So, I called the owner and arranged a time to go look at the iMac. I was familiar with the differences between PowerPC and Intel, and OS X vs. earlier versions of Mac OS, so I knew the iMac would not be capable of running newer software applications. I bought it anyway because I thought it was cool and I have been growing my collection ever since. It's not like I need another PowerPC Mac, or any computer for that matter. But if I come across a Mac for an incredibly reasonable price, I feel compelled to take it home. Before you go imagining that my home has a guest bedroom dedicated to storing every Mac I bring home, I assure you my collection isn't that big. But, I admit that some of the Macs I own stay in storage simply because there is no place in my home to put them. However, I can't bring myself to throw any of them away, either because they work or because a particular Mac can be used for spare parts.

I know I'm not alone in collecting PowerPC Macs, so I am curious: What caused you others to start collecting, and what particular Mac is your favorite out of all others in your collection and why? I look forward to reading your stories.

2. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

I am not a collector but for some reason I cannot get rid of my powermac g3 beige or my broken ibook g3 or anything :eek:

3. gavinstubbs09, Oct 11, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2014

gavinstubbs09 macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

I always loathed after those who had macs and all I had was a Pentium 4 Dell Dimension. Soon that changed with a B&W, iBook G3, iMac G4, just went on from there. Now everywhere you look in my room you will see a G4 of some sort, I own 5 :eek: and it just keeps growing. The only model PPC I haven't (new world rom) owned is an Xserve, Cube, and iMac G3. Everything else I've had at one point or another.

Currently
    G4: 4 (incl. B&W G4, and sold the MDD today for $80)
    G5: 2
    Intel: 3

4. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

I wish i had too many pentinum dells :(

5. Ih8reno macrumors 65816

Ih8reno

I've bought and sold my way to a great collection of rare macs. Everyone collects something at one point or another so why not enjoy it!

6. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

What is your entire collection consisting of?

7. PowerMac G4 MDD macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

I know of a kid who has the most amazing Mac collection ever and pretty much most Macs out there. Anyway, many have their collections of Apple computers--some large, some small. I got into collecting in around late 2009/early 2010 when this guy I know started to give me some old Mac equipment. I had always liked things like these, so it wasn't some sudden liking to the computers, but all the old Mac equipment he had got my really interested. So, my collection started growing from there. While I don't own anything like a TAM or Lisa/MacXL, I have many Apple computers... and way too many. I have several Windows PCs, most of which I am gonna get rid of sooner or later, but I focus on Macs, of course. I just dedicated a room to my collection and made a nice set-up for it. If you are interested in Macs, your collection will grow, but you aren't a hoarder compared to some people! (like myself xD) I have about 76 computers. It will be less when I get rid of the Windows PCs, but I still have tons of Macs. I have a YouTube channel where I posted a music video with montage shots of the Macs. I hope you enjoy it! (sorry for the low quality, I made a n00b mistake, long-story-short) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hR-Svsm-zDU&list=UU74Dwg2dY80uCktSEFFjMtQ

----------

There are actually some more PowerPCs that aren't as well-regarded. The first PowerPC Mac came about in 1994. There are many PowerPC Macs that are far too old to use now, but many don't think about them when the picture PowerPC Macs; these were of the worst Macs, considering they were mid-to-late 90s Macs. xD I have possibly one of the most hated Macs: The 1997 PowerMac 4400/200. It has typical Windows PC-like issues: OS failing to install for no reason... Anyway, you are leaving out some PowerPC Macs that you haven't owned. I own all but the Xserves, in terms of later PowerPC Macs, but same goes for me with most of the very old ones. However, being among the worst Macs ever made, you almost wouldn't want to own them. xD

----------

Hey, I checked out your website! I definitely saw some familiar faces there. xD Pretty cool collection; I enjoyed looking. I almost got a full, working IIsi from someone I know, but sadly I didn't see him much after that and it was forgotten about. He is also the original owner of the three he has left, and it was a nice of him to have wanted to give it to me for free. I really like the looks of IIsi and IIci Macs. Very boxy but in an appealing way. Anyway, I started a site with two other Mac collectors, but have recently forgotten about it due to being busy with school; I will get around to that though. I am really into collecting as well.

8. Ih8reno macrumors 65816

Ih8reno

Yeah most have gone but a lot have stayed, just thought I'd document some of what I have

9. ctmpkmlec4, Oct 12, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2014

ctmpkmlec4 thread starter macrumors 6502

ctmpkmlec4

PowerPC Macs:
    • Mac Mini G4 1.5 GHz
    • eMac 1.25 GHz Superdrive and 160GB HDD (Factory)
    • 3 x eMac 1.42 GHz - two with superdrives and 160GB HDDs
    • Graphite iMac G3 (600 MHz)
    • Power Mac G4 Dual 450 MHz (Gigabit Ethernet)
    • Power Mac G4 Dual 500 MHz (Gigabit Ethernet)
    • Power Mac G4 Quicksilver (933 MHz)
    • Power Mac FW800 (Dual 1.25 GHz)
    • 2 x Power Mac G5 Dual 2.5 GHz (June 2004 - One of them is just for spare parts.)
    • Power Mac G5 Dual 2.3 GHz (Early 2005)
    • 2 x 17" Apple Cinema Displays
    • 22" (or 23"?) Apple Cinema Display
    • Power Mac G5 Dual 2.0 GHz (Early 2005)
    Early Apple Computers:
    • Apple IIc - complete with monitor, Disk IIc, Scribe Printer, and included software.
    • Apple IIGS Rev. 1 ROM - Monitor, keyboard, mouse, disk drives, some software.
    • Apple IIGS Rev. 3 ROM - Same as above, but with Imagewriter II printer and 20SC hard disk.
    Vintage Computers:
    • Commodore 64 with two 1541 disk drive and 1702 monitor.
    • Commodore 128 with one 1571 disk drive and 1902 monitor.

10. ctmpkmlec4 thread starter macrumors 6502

ctmpkmlec4

Checked out the blog! I have to say I'm a little envious. I would really like to have a Quad G5, but as I've stated earlier, I need another Mac like I need a hole in my head. Of course, after saying that, I'm going to admit that I have a G4 Cube on its way to my house from some eBay seller in California. It appeared to be in good condition and the seller says it works well. Since I won the auction for $50, I say it's a small risk. Unfortunately, it doesn't come with any restore discs nor speakers, so if some of you have some USB Cube speakers to sell, I'm in the market! ;)

11. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

No portable Macs I see.

12. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

I don't think I ever intended to start collecting. It just sort of happened over the years as a new Mac would come along, and the old one would continue to find use elsewhere. In more recent years, I have tended to seek out systems I didn't already have, so that would be more of a collection instinct. Luckily I had my collection well established before I got married and had to answer for new members to the family. It also helps that in recent years I've been getting more notebooks and less desktops, so they're easier to store.

13. catzilla macrumors 6502

catzilla

I would like to call this meeting of Macs Anonymous to order, any new members?

I'll start.
    To make a long story short, I found a Mac at a thrift store. Then I started going to stores looking for cast off Macs. Due to space considerations I am concentrating on portable machines, But I do have a Quadra, LC II, Iici, IIsi, CC, SE, SE/30, Molar, Cube, Beige Tower, MDD, and most every portable from the Portable to a MBA.
    I just refurbed a 17" PB G4 which I hope is still upstairs playing a DVD as a stress test...

14. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Hi, my name is Jessica, and I'm a Macaholic. :p

I have a desktop G3 sitting on the side of my desk, an iMac G3 under my desk, a iBook clamshell sitting on the floor, and my iMac G4 is keeping it company. My Power Mac G5 is in the closet.

15. ctmpkmlec4 thread starter macrumors 6502

ctmpkmlec4

None have ever come my way for a reasonable price. The only iBooks I've seen come for sale in the local classifieds usually have an asking price of >$100. I would be excited to see an iBook or PowerBook show up locally for a reasonable price. Hrududu, you're pretty close to me. Do you ever come across any deals?

Haha! Thanks you guys, now I don't feel so alone.

16. PowerMac G4 MDD macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

$50 for a good Cube is a steal compared to what they normally go for on eBay. Sadly my school put tons into e-waste without my knowing... I was able to recover a full set-up (Cube+LCD Studio Display+keyboard/mouse+speakers) from the e-waste bin there, but I am sure that was the last one to go.

----------

I am too... I have about 12 iMac G3s along with my tons of other Macs. When going into middle school, I toured a local middle school and they had a Molar Mac there... what annoys me is that school districts are really wasteful and don't know a thing about collector's items, so I bet it was put into e-waste. :(

17. gavinstubbs09 macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

"new world rom" macs ie. 98 and newer. The older stuff, I've never owned a biege power mac or any old PowerBooks!

18. desantii macrumors 6502

desantii

I second that!

19. BJonson macrumors 6502a

BJonson

I went through an all out Powermac attack early this year and now I have to stare at 5 G4 Quicksilvers, 4 monitors, a Powermac G5 with 23" cinema, a powermac 9600, a macintosh plus, mactintosh classic and macintosh classic II. Need a bigger house.

20. gavinstubbs09 macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

I need to clean house, the machines I want to keep while the rest can hopefully get sold. Power Mac G5 2.3GHz, Power Mac G4 QS Dual 1GHz, and my iBook G4 14" 1.42. Even those three seem like a lot to own!

21. tevion5 macrumors 68000

tevion5

I am thinking about getting a IIGS to add to my LocalTalk Network. How does the ROM1 version cope with GS/OS? Are ram or processor card upgrades must for either rom versions? I hear the stock machine is very slow.

I'd like the opinion of an owner :)

22. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

I went through a stage of picking a bunch up as they were cheap. Haven't bought anything for a good few years now.

At the moment it stands as:

Macs:
    iMac G3 Ruby x2
    iMac G3 Indigo
    iMac G3 Blueberry
    iBook G3 Clamshell Indigo
    iBook G3 Clamshell Blueberry
    iMac G4 17"
    Powermac G4
    Powerbook G4 12"
    Macbook Pro 2nd Gen
    Macbook (white) x2 (I had 3 but one was stolen :()
    Macbook Air 11"
    Mac Pro Early 2008

iPods:
    Classic: 2nd gen/3rd gen x3/4th gen x2/5th gen x2/6th gen x2
    Nano: 4th Gen x2
    Shuffle: 1st gen/2nd gen x4/4th gen

I also have a bunch of iPhones/iPads, and don't get me started on games consoles or guitars!:eek:

23. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

How often do all of those computers get used?

24. ctmpkmlec4 thread starter macrumors 6502

ctmpkmlec4

To be 100% honest, I don't have enough experience to provide you with a very good answer. I guess I could set them up and compare side by side. I rarely setup and use the ROM 01, but I recall it ran GS/OS well enough. If you can find one, a ROM 3 runs just a little bit faster because of the larger ROM and stock 1MB of RAM (or so I understand). I would certainly spring for a RAM upgrade with either computer, especially if you plan to use a RAM disk. I've seen upgrade cards for sale on eBay starting at around $20.

Speaking of which: Anyone know where a guy could get the discreet chips to completely populate the RAM card?

Anyway, back to the original question of performance, let me setup the ROM 01 and find its software, and maybe I can create a video and give you the Youtube link. Then perhaps you can make the judgement yourself. I'll post back here with any updates relating to this project.

----------

I second the comment of needing a bigger house. I've run out of storage space in my office...

25. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

Nope, not really locally. I used to work for a computer shop in Wichita, and when I did there were a few Macs I got to keep when brought in for recycling. Aside from those, nobody in ICT sells or gives away anything at a good cost. Our Goodwill and DAV stores don't accept computers anymore either.