My Mac Compromised?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by nakedbuddha, Apr 27, 2009.

1. nakedbuddha macrumors newbie

Hello,

This might sound naive, but I have to make sure everything is Ok.

I was sent a link that completely took over my computer by hijacking my browser window, opened up hundreds of email messages, downloaded multiple audio avi files, opened up iChat and opened up multiple terminal windows that tried to connect to the internet, but were luckily stopped by Little Snitch.

I was unable to 'force quit' any apps because of the large amount of windows and the speed at which they were opening, so I had to just hold down the power button.

My heart is pounding. I'm afraid it installed some sort of virus or other stuff on my computer, stole personal info and/or may be communicating with who-knows-what. I ran ClamXav and it didn't detect anything.

I researched the domain and I cant seem to find anything useful on it except for some RickRoll references -nothing as serious as what I experienced. How can a website launch my terminal and give it commands?

I don't want to provide the URL, but I'm sure it will help out if you've heard of it before. I'll break it apart:

internetisseriousbusiness .on .nimp .org

Thanks.

2. Airforcekid macrumors 65816

Airforcekid

Have you downloaded a torrent latley? I would back everything up and restore just to be safe. Or turn it on with out internet and see what happens.

3. coolbits macrumors member

Send a link to that... or youre full of bs.

That link is just spam and nothing happens here...

4. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

It's not a harmful site, just really annoying, at least that is what some Google searches revealed.

5. nakedbuddha thread starter macrumors newbie

I've downloaded torrents, but no software. What do you mean turn off the internet and see what happens? It only happens when clicking the link.

A link to what? A screenshot? I'm actually more nervous now that you guys don't believe this.

I read the same, that it wasn't harmful, which lead me to post here. As for Google, I searched for that link and then clicked through and did not get the same results. Only by clicking the link directly did it ambush me.

I signed onto my guest account and clicked the link and sure enough it happened. My guest account is never used, notice the original desktop wallpaper.

It pops up a gay website and nasty abortion photos and downloads mp3s which open with VLC player. I had to delete 45 draft emails when it happened in my account Since mail is not set up on the guest account, nothing happens. You can see all of the terminal windows and little snitch defending them.

Full Sized:
    http://bayimg.com/KapPKaAbE

Attached Files:

6. Ninja Guidan macrumors regular

Do you normally click random links that are sent to you? If so, why? That's a no no.

7. nakedbuddha thread starter macrumors newbie

No, but since I started using a Mac years ago, I never expected anything like this to happen from just clicking a link without any further action. I really don't want to completely format my HD and reinstall if I don't have to. That's a 1-2 day project.

Btw, you can delete that link from your post-quote, it's dead now.

8. cipher29 macrumors regular

go to www.trendmicro.com and download their 30 day trial of the Mac Anti-Virus and run a scan and see what it picks up.

Hands down the best mac AV client out there right now.

9. nakedbuddha thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, cipher29. I will give it a shot.

10. ElectricSheep macrumors 6502

ElectricSheep

You're Mac isn't compromised.

Its a prank link that uses a combination of javascript and PHP to open up massive amounts of pop-up windows and URLs (including email, telnet, whatever).

No malware going on here, just annoyance.

11. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

That's a shock site with code known as "Last Measure". The only way to stop that happening to your browser is to use Firefox with the NoScript addon installed.

12. nakedbuddha thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys. The news to me is that a website can open up some of my programs. I can understand new emails, but Terminal/Telnet - whichever it is - was what really got me, along with iChat.

13. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

No need. THERE ARE NO VIRUSES on OSX.

Since there are no viruses, anti-virus cannot determine what is a virus at this time, and is a waste of CPU cycles.

Giz Explains: Why OS X Shrugs Off Viruses Better Than Windows
    http://i.gizmodo.com/5101337/giz-explains-why-os-x-shrugs-off-viruses-better-than-windows

The Mac Malware Myth
    http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2009/01/29/the-mac-malware-myth/

The Unavoidable Malware Myth
    http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2008/...-apple-wont-inherit-microsofts-malware-crown/

14. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

ClamXAV detects only Windows threats.

If you really want antivirus software to detects OS X threats, iAntiVirus is free.

15. armoguy94 macrumors 6502

Every time someone like you posts something like that.... someone like me, ends up having to remind that it rids of PC viruses as well.

16. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

and that anti-virus software also protects against trojans as well as viruses of which there are some (as in minute) on Mac.