my mac constantly getting worked up?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Melan, Dec 17, 2008.

1. Melan macrumors regular

Hey all, I have a problem and it is that my mac keeps throwing temper tantrums.

I play a youtube video or a flash game in Safari and it FREAKS OUT. Starts taking up 70-90% of the CPU and the fan gets super-loud. Even without such luxuries it seems to take up an undue amount of processor speed - between 20 and 30. Is that normal? (note: this was all happening before i installed 3.2.1)

And if it's not safari it's itunes or mail. Those 3 apps seem to be the biggest offenders - at some point they just decide to take up all my processor speed and set the fan off to its full. The mail problem might be linked with the fact that sometimes it refuses to quit and doesn't even come up as 'not responding' in the force quit menu when it does.

Anyway, can anyone help? I just want my mac to stop acting like these basic applications are asking the world of it. My processor is 2.2 GHz dual core and I have 4gb of RAM.

2. bobfitz14 macrumors 65816

bobfitz14

i have this problem with my PC and i planned on getting rid of it in the somewhat near future to get a Mac to avoid this problem..i have no solution to this either with my PC unfortunately :confused:

3. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

I'd suggest doing a reinstall. Boot from your install DVD, choose archive & install, choose to preserve your user settings, and set it going. You'll end up right back where you started, although hopefully without the problems. It sounds like your computer is new enough to still be under warranty, so if that doesn't fix it, I suspect it's a hardware problem, and I'd recommend making good on that warranty.