Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zantaff

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 28, 2011
All of a sudden, my mac started displaying light blue bars in white regions. I have no idea what may have caused this. I don't think the display just broke, because when you run the something, like the mouse or a window over the blue bars, it displays correctly in the window's "shadow".

Look at the pictures to see what I'm talking about.
I couldn't use screenshots, because when viewed on another computer, the image looks fine.
That's why the images are taken with a camera.
Picture 1
Picture 2
Picture 3
Picture 4

Any help would be great!
Thanks!

Macbook Pro
OS X 10.6.8

Last edited:

Quad5Ny

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2009
New York, USA
What are the display settings in System Preferences? Did you turn the contrast up using the keyboard shortcuts?

If you boot off of the OS X recovery DVD that came with your Mac, do whites look like that as well?

theferret

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2011
UK
Can you connect your macbook pro to an external monitor? What happens then?

That can help diagnose what the problem is - video card, screen etc.

zantaff

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 28, 2011
Nothing came up in the Diagnostics....

I started messing with the LCD color calibration, and I set the target white point to just a little higher than native. This took all the blue away, so I think I'll stick with that for now.
After this, I connected to an external monitor, and it seemed to work fine.

HMMMM

I had this problem with a 2008 iMac. It started after about 2 & 1/2 years of problem-free ownership. Initially it was an on-&-off thing. Whenever the iMac got too warm, those exact same blue lines would appear. Diagnostics also told me nothing.

Most regrettably, for me the problem never went away & eventually my iMac stopped working (after 2yrs 10 months). If you haven't already done so, back up all of your work immediately.

I had no Apple Care, so I ended up selling my iMac to a Mac engineer on eBay & bought a new 2011 Mini.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.