My Mac doesn't ask for admin password.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by shawnperson, Jul 18, 2010.

1. shawnperson macrumors newbie

I went to system preferences, and security, i turned on the firewall and repaired disk permissions, nothing helps. I still can't find a way to make it happen. It did at one point. Almost all the apps I have I got from the Apple site, I don't know if that's relevant. Thanks.

2. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

Try changing your password to see if that helps by going to system preferences-->accounts-->change password.

3. epti nox macrumors newbie

I have this same problem. I have tried resetting my password, repairing permissions etc. I first noticed it when I did a system update and it didn't ask for my password. Also, If I change permissions on a specific folder to 'write only' I can change it back to 'read and write' without entering a password (even many days after I set it to 'write only'). My computer will ask for my password when turning on though, but that seems to be it.

4. Hal Itosis macrumors 6502a

Hal Itosis

That's the new standard behavior in Snow Leo for (some?, most?) updates, when done via Software Update. If we download the dmg manually and update that way (instead of going through Software Update), then it seems to ask for a password.

Also new standard behavior in Snow Leo... so long as we own the item in question, no password prompt.