My Mac doesn't like OS X, just XP? Please help me out.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by scubasteve03, Mar 30, 2009.

1. scubasteve03 macrumors regular

Hey guys, I've searched all around for this problem, but have not found any answers to my specific problem. So here it goes. I was having problems in OS X where everything would just randomly freeze for 20-30 seconds at a time.
    It would always come back to normal every time after the pinwheel. I thought nothing of it went into disk utility and tried rebuilding permissions. Then I tried repairing HD or whatever that option was. It tried 3 times and it said that it could not repair HD "something about incorrect number of folder threads "There should be 72905 folders but there are only 72904 folder. After that I put in the 10.5 boot DVD and tried repairing through D.U. again. Same thing happened again.
    I gave up for a while and later that day tried reformatting through the disk utility from the boot disk. This time under hard drives in Disk Utility, it did not show the 2 partitions under my HD. I have a WD Scorpio Blue-only 2 months old. Also the check/repair disk and permissions buttons were grayed out. I could not even reformat my HD! So at this time I was thinking all it was is maybe a dying HD. I tried one more time going into OS X the normal way and it still didn't let me in. All I got was the gray apple pinwheel.
    I then tried booting into bootcamp just to see if it would work, and to my surprise bootcamp "XP" is working just fine. I have MacDrive installed and I was able to see all of my OSX folders just fine from OX. MacDrive has an option to repair OSX, but that wasn't getting anywhere either. It said the same thing as disk utility. Let me know what you guys think is going on. I am using my MB Alu 2.4, 500gb WD Blue and 4GB Crucial. I also tried the Apple Hardware diagnostic which came back fine after doing 5 passes. I have already put in for a new HD from WD just in case it's a dying HD. I am up to date with all update from Apple. For what it's worth, I didn't have any of these problems until I installed the new ILIFE 09 updates. I have seen a few other people have had similar problems with the new updates.
    Thank you guys for any and all help. I have only been using Macs for a year now, so go easy on me if I have forgotten any easy steps.
    Stephen

2. scubasteve03 thread starter macrumors regular

Safe mode does not get me anywhere as well....:confused:

3. longwood macrumors regular

You can try TechTool or DriveGenius.I have never used DriveGenius but hear that's what they use at the Apple Store. I have used TechTool and everything seemed to work properly. With TechTool you will either have to boot off an external drive with it installed or create a partition on your hard drive for it to run off of.

4. Mooey macrumors regular

Best way to repair the disk is to hold down the apple and s key when you first turn your computer on (this is known as single user mode)

Then it will boot into a command prompt sort of menu...

Type this: sbin/fsck -fy (this will show up on your screen - you shouldn't have to memorize it)

It should say something like File system modified or something. Keep typing the above until it says file system ok.

This should repair your disk.

Also, here's an article from Apple:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1417

5. scubasteve03 thread starter macrumors regular

Still not working

I have tried that several times. Every time it says disk not repaired. I am waiting on my RMA from WD. I guess if I restore to a restore point from a couple of weeks ago, it should \fix everything with the new hard drive. Right?
    I think I remember what happened to start this mess. I was repairing permissions and the computer locked up, so I hard booted it. That's when evrything went to crap. Thanks for your help. Do you have any other ideas that can just get me into OS X for the mean time?