My Mac downscales my Screens Resolution [Help!]

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by xRadon, Sep 5, 2014.

1. xRadon macrumors newbie

Greetings,
    I've been lurking around these forums for a while now and have found many solutions but not yet to my new problem that accured just today at my new workplace!
    The problem is that when i connect my macbook to the screen (which is 1080p) via an adapter (mini displayport -> VGA) it downscales it to 1680x1050! Yes i am sure that the Screen is capable of 1920x1080 and has been tested with the same VGA cable on a windows pc. Yet i dont know why!
    I dont encounter the problem at home (diffrent VGA cable tho' with an obscure setup(can give surely more info to that if it helps)). The screen at home isnt 1080p tho' but it doesnt get downscaled.
    I have not find a question nor answer here on mac rumor or googling the problem.
    Any help is appreciated !

If this belongs to a diffrent forum, be so kind and tell me and if possible move it there!

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Did you try adjusting the resolution in the display preference panel?

You should be able to select either "Best" or scaled the scaled option gives you different resolutions to try.

[​IMG]

3. xRadon thread starter macrumors newbie

I indeed did, best aswell as look for the 1920x1080 Option!
    Sadly didnt change anything.
    Its also a legit Adapter from apple itself.
    im so confused

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Its possible that OS X doesn't think your monitor can handle that resolution, sadly, I'm not sure what options you have.

5. xRadon thread starter macrumors newbie

If you tell me what specific info you need i can give it to you for sure, it just annnoys me, because nobody likes big/grainy pixels right :p

6. illusionx macrumors 6502

7. xRadon thread starter macrumors newbie

8. MattBP macrumors member

1. Click on best for display
    2. Hold down option key then click scaled

This should give you all the resolutions. For some reason they hide some resolutions. If this doesn't work then I'm out ha ha.

9. illusionx macrumors 6502

You said you selected the 1920x1080 option and still doesn't display properly?

Last time,i encounter a weird issue where the monitor under scans the 1080p resolution on a Samsung monitor.

Have you tried resetting your monitor to factory default?

i would love to see a screenshot of your System preference -> Display...

10. xRadon thread starter macrumors newbie

On monday i will be able to set the screen back to factory default and ill make sure to make a screenshot of my display settings!
    i very thankful that you guys are so helpful!

11. cosmicjoke macrumors 6502

If you have the option to try a different cable, mindisplayport to dvi, hdmi, or displayport to your monitor, I'd highly suggest giving it a try.

12. xRadon thread starter macrumors newbie

[​IMG]
    These are the settings at the moment!

Sadly i dont have any other cables not adapters, but this VGA cable worked before as a 1080p on a windows pc. therefore i think the cable should be alright !
    Cheers for the ideas , tho!
    Maybe i'll order a second VGA cable just to check it out

13. illusionx macrumors 6502

My Mac downscales my Screens Resolution [Help!]

Don't get a VGA cable... If you do get cables to try, get a minidisplayport to DVI cable.

And have you tried holding option before pressing on scaled? It should show extra resolutions.

14. xRadon thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, investments over investments. **** happens!
    Will try it out with the option.
    I know VGA is outdated and not optimal but its been a work-around the past year and it worked out. Im just sad it works at home but not at work, and investing another 30€ for an adapter, is not something i wanted to do, but if there is no other option, i guess i'll have to roll with that !
    EDIT : By pressing Option i got the 1080p option , but now there is the problem that the screen doesnt adjust right and i have a huge chunk cut off on the right side. this gets even more obscure

15. chrfr macrumors 603

It's extremely likely that using a connection other than VGA will resolve this current problem, and you'll have better picture quality.

16. Paradoxally macrumors 65816

Try using HDMI if your monitor supports it, or DVI. Those are digital connections and generally work better than VGA which is really only good for old projectors nowadays....not so much for monitors anymore.