Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

.fred

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 9, 2007
Hey

My Internal HDD inside my iMac, which is formatted Mac OSX Extender, i can now only read! Can someone help me!

Hawkeye411

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2007
Canada EH!!!
Did you change the disk permissions?

-Click on the HD icon on the desktop (single click to select it).
-Click on File at the top of the desktop.
-Then click on Get Info
-At the bottom of the window that opens you should see Sharing and Permissions
-This should show you the permission settings for system, admin, etc.
-It should be set to Read & Write
-If it is not, you can click on the lock icon at the bottom of the wondiw tat opened and enter your admin username and password.
-Then make the necessary permission changes.

Hope this helps.

.fred

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 9, 2007
When I verify Disk Permissions,

I get this:

Verify permissions for “Macintosh HD”
Warning: SUID file "usr/libexec/load_hdi" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DiskManagement.framework/Versions/A/Resources/DiskManagementTool" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DesktopServicesPriv.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Locum" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Install.framework/Versions/A/Resources/runner" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Permissions differ on "private/var/log/secure.log", should be -rw------- , they are -rw-r----- .
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Admin.framework/Versions/A/Resources/readconfig" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Admin.framework/Versions/A/Resources/writeconfig" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "usr/libexec/authopen" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/Resources/OwnerGroupTool" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAgent" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Permissions differ on "Library/PreferencePanes", should be drwxr-xr-x , they are drwxrwxr-x .
User differs on "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5.0/Home/lib/jvm.cfg", should be 0, user is 95.
User differs on "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5.0/Libraries/classlist", should be 0, user is 95.
Permissions differ on "Library", should be drwxrwxr-t , they are drwxrwxr-x .
Group differs on ".", should be 80, group is 0.
Permissions differ on ".", should be drwxrwxr-t , they are drwxr-xr-x .

Permissions verification complete

Also, if i change the 'everyone' to be able to read and write, then my permissions are custom access.

periklist

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2010
Changing external disc permissions

Did you change the disk permissions?

-Click on the HD icon on the desktop (single click to select it).
-Click on File at the top of the desktop.
-Then click on Get Info
-At the bottom of the window that opens you should see Sharing and Permissions
-This should show you the permission settings for system, admin, etc.
-It should be set to Read & Write
-If it is not, you can click on the lock icon at the bottom of the wondiw tat opened and enter your admin username and password.
-Then make the necessary permission changes.

Hope this helps.

Hi
Excuse me but...i'm having almost the same problem.
My external HDD's (coming from windows pc) aren't show any settings (admin, etc) in the 'Sharing & Permissions' field...
I have 4 Lacie HDD's and only one of them is 'read & write', all others are for read only but...i didn't changed anything. So, any help how to change the remain 3 into 'read & write' ??

ukuleleman

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2009
Loss of Admin Privileges?

This could be a loss of Administration Privileges, can you save stuff, ie a new 'Pages' document or photographs?

periklist

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2010
This could be a loss of Administration Privileges, can you save stuff, ie a new 'Pages' document or photographs?

I can't see this menu in the specific field in any of my external HDD's, except the installed Mac HDD only. So, i can write & save etc in ony one of them (speaking of external HDD's) who is by itself adjusted for write & save etc...All others are only for read, buut the strange thing that before maybe a month i could do everything in all HDD's !!!!!......

ukuleleman

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2009
Restore Admin rights

I can't see this menu in the specific field in any of my external HDD's, except the installed Mac HDD only. So, i can write & save etc in ony one of them (speaking of external HDD's) who is by itself adjusted for write & save etc...All others are only for read, buut the strange thing that before maybe a month i could do everything in all HDD's !!!!!......

Sorry to be late getting back to you, I have had a couple of hectic days.

Your initial post only mentioned your internal HD, so what follows applies to that drive.

If you can't save anything to the internal HD the odds are that you have lost Admin Privileges, why; I don't know, but at the moment the 'why' is not important, you need to get them back in order to have a fully functioning computer, follow these steps to get your admin privileges sorted out.

1. Boot from the Leopard DVD whilst holding down 'c'

2. If 'English' is selected in the first dialogue box, click OK. if it is not
selected, select it then click OK.

3. In the next box select the drive and the Admin user account.

4. Delete the password (even though it may be correct) and then enter a
new password (or re-enter the old one).

5. Click on 'Reset home folder permissions', then 'Startup disc', select the
drive you want to restart with and then click on 'Restart'.

6. When this is done go to your 'Applications' folder and select 'Utilities',
'Keychain', then look for 'Update Keychain' and click on it.
This should restore all your admin rights. it's not hard to do, it sounds
more difficult than it really is, take your time and follow each step
carefully, good luck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.