my mac has an identity problem

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by btc, May 21, 2007.

1. btc macrumors member

i have a blue and white G3 and i recently bought a G4 Yikes as a second machine so i could give the wife the G3. I installed OS X 10.4.3 and everything is fine except how the computer identifies itself. i know this sounds wierd but in system Profiler it correctly says it has a 400 MHz G4 Processor, but in "machine type" it calls itself "Power Mac G3 (PCI graphics)"

i know that the Yikes machine is really just a blue-and-white with a G4 processor but is this something wierd about my machine, some problem in firmware?

as i said, in all respects it functions as it should, but in every area, even in the screensaver with the machine name on it, it calls itself "G3 PCI graphics"

maybe i should have bought a Sawtooth/AGP graphics after all. (though money was the decider and i needed a second machine.)

does any of this make sense or indicate a problem?

2. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

3. zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

I bet its simply because it sees the mobo as a G3 board. only reason I can think of.. the only difference between the 2 is the yikes version had no G4 block but that can be removed from the B&W version anyway.

it is strange though..

4. btc thread starter macrumors member

that was one of my first thoughts, that i had been sold a G4 with a G3 processor.

I have a Powerlogix 1.0 GHz G3 in the Blue and White and according to Powerlogix (now OtherWorld Computing, i think) the G3 will pop into the Yikes with no problem.

two things make me doubt that i have a G3 in the Yikes: one that the system profiler i.d.'s it as a G4, and also the fact that iLife '06 would not install on my blue and White G3 giving me an error message saying that a G4 was necessary, and it installed fine on the Yikes G4.

If someone knows if there is a way to eyeball the G4 and look for a marking, a S/N or something that would positively i.d. it as a G4 please tell me.

thanks for the responses and help. this is a good forum for newbie (me) and guru alike.

5. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

I would do a quick Google search for what's printed on the CPU itself. I did for my G4 just now, and found this really fast:
    http://www.cpu-collection.de/?tn=0&l0=md&l1=2001&l2=Motorola

So that'd be the easiest way, probably. I guess the most important question is, though - even though it's identity may be in crisis, does it still love you? Do you still feel loved by it? Hang in there, your G3/G4 needs you during this turbulent stage in its life!

6. dannewell15 macrumors regular

Heres an idea. Click on the apple logo and then "About this Mac" and then where its says "Version 10.x.x" Click on it twice to get the serial number. Then you could call apple or register woth them. :D

7. btc thread starter macrumors member

hey, that is a great link, thanks, i'm still checking it out.

and thanks for the tip dannewell15, i didn't know you could click on that and get some information.

8. Frankf300 macrumors regular

Frankf300

Yes, you are the man lol. I never knew that either. My Mac newbiness is showing again :eek: . Well, you learn something new everyday, thanks. I still can't believe I never knew that. :D