my mac has been destroyed.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Kristofer, Sep 23, 2008.

1. Kristofer macrumors member

Hello. Water was spilt (I didn't spill it...) on my macbook last night. Immediately, it began to behave oddly. A red LED light came out of the headphone jack and the battery shows an X through it. I left it alone, hoping it would get better, but a few hours later it had only gotten worse. Now, it will not turn on for any length of time. It turns on for a moment, goes black, and then goes to sleep. And even the power adapter seems *#&^#&$'ed, because the light is only very dim when plugged into the mac, even when it's plugged into a mac that hasn't been assaulted with water.
    What do you think I'm looking at here? I know the news can't be good, but what do you think I'm going to be told needs repair? Right now, it seems so screwed to me that I might as well just buy a new laptop rather than pay out the ass for repairs.
    Thoughts?
    -Kris

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

You need to turn it off, unplug it and LET IT SIT for AT LEAST THREE (3) DAYS. This is non-negotiable.

3. Kristofer thread starter macrumors member

Will letting it sit do anything? It's been many hours since the waterworks and it's behaving consistently the same. I'll unplug/turn off/let it sit though, as you say. Just want to understand the logic. :)

4. Elven macrumors 6502a

Elven

Just by attempting to turn it on you have fried it likely.

5. Kristofer thread starter macrumors member

I didn't, it was on when it happened. I let it sit upside down, then checked it out. I probably should have turned it off immediately, but I wasn't thinking straight. Was sort of panicked.

6. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

The logic is that water takes ~48 hours to dry from the little spots inside. The longer you let it sit before turning it on, the better your chances are.

7. g4cubed macrumors 6502a

g4cubed

That is and always will be the first thing to do.

As others said leave it sit for as long as possible before trying to turn it on again.
    Good luck.

8. Kristofer thread starter macrumors member

thanks guys.
    But on to my next question - if the Mac is "fried", what sort of repair could I be looking at? Is it worth sending it for a repair or should I just get a new laptop for the money?

9. eman macrumors 6502a

Apple charges about $800 for a new logic board replacement. Pull the keyboard off and let it dry out for several days.

10. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

11. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

You could send it to Apple for a quote, but since things may corrode later, I think it may be cheaper in the long run to just get a new one.

12. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

He is probably right. Hopefully it will be alright after a few days. Take their advice and leave it alone for a couple of days. My friend had this happened and panicked like you did. Heck I would freak also. That is certainly understandable. If I didn't read these forums, I wouldn't know what to do if that happened to me. If it is still fried after a couple of days go get a free quote from Apple. They won't charge you for that. Then you can decide which direction to go from there. Keep us informed. I hope it works out for you.

13. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

I'd just get a new one at this point. But definitely pull the battery out and don't touch it for a few days. at least you might be able to get your data off it.

14. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Since you didn't spill, then make the other party pay.

15. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

The last time someone got a quote for a logic board on a Macbook it was about $1200.

OP: You probably didn't help matters by turning it on. You should have left it off for a few days. My guess is you're about to pay the price for a new laptop.

And who spilled the water and where was it at in the first place?

16. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

The Logic Board has gone kaput....... which means getting a new one might be more comfortable at an almost equal price!

P.S.: What were you thinking when you.... ahem.... switched it on or left it switched on? Were you writing a step by step hypothesis of what happens to it...... sorry for being sooo rude but even Apple's manual that shipped with your MB tells you to switch it off and pluck the battery out immediately.....

17. Kristofer thread starter macrumors member

Well it's sort of a funny story as to who spilt the water and all that. I had the mac sitting open on the floor, I was in bed with my boyfriend, he moved around in the bed and the blanket pushed a cup of water to the floor where it hit my laptop. So I can't really say "This is your fault!" even though if it weren't for him moving around in the bed, it wouldn't have happened. I figure it could have happened to either of us and he was moving around, um, while we were... you know... so it really could have been either of us who knocked the cup to the floor, I guess. I'll see if he wants to help me figure it out.
    There is a store at the local university (where I bought the laptop in the first place) who I assume will do an estimate of how much it is to fix. There's also a Mac store down the street. Maybe I should bring it to two places? Do you think?
    And shouldn't the HD be OK? I'd like to get what's on there off, if I can.

I was in the middle of something else and I honestly didn't think much water hit it. I don't know why I kept it on. Because it was functioning fine, but later went kaput... I really wish I had an answer. Normally I wouldn't be so stupid. I don't know. *sigh*