My Mac is acting weird

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Copland, Mar 23, 2008.

1. Copland macrumors regular

Copland

Hello all!

I have had an C2D MacBook with 1 gig of Apple installed RAM (I haven't installed any internal hardware) for a bit over a year. I installed Leopard and it is completely up to date with software updates.

Recently, it's been acting funky. About two weeks ago, it started doing the following:
    the fans start whirring like crazy
    everything acts VERY slow
    if I try to move the mouse, for a little while it will sit where it was, and then all of a sudden after about 5 seconds it'll jump to the other side of the screen.
    If I try to start a program (especially, for some reason, iTunes) the whole system freezes up and I get the rainbow wheel.
    Possibly unrelated, though maybe not, sometimes it won't respond to the trackpad after I unplug my external mouse.

I've noticed that it seems to happen almost without fail if I leave it open and let it fall asleep. It doesn't generally happen if I close the lid.

It goes away once I shut down and wait a few minutes, then restart.

I've already tried reinstalling Mac OS, and it briefly seemed to work (I used Archive and Install), but then it started doing it again, although admittedly less frequently.

Anyone have any ideas? I would greatly appreciate it.

2. soccersquirt82 macrumors 6502

Take it into the Apple Store. If you can't do that, buy DiskWarrior. It's expensive, but it works.