my mac is annoying me... (NTFS drives / VMware Fusion)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by VespR, Dec 4, 2008.

1. VespR macrumors regular

Hello,

I just made a partition on my mac (using bootcamp) to put on an XP partition. Everything went fine, and the partition showed up in my Mac finder. After doing all the relevant installs under Windows, I decided to go back to the Mac and continue it under Fusion. I've done this before on an old mac, so assumed VMware would just load up my bootcamp partition.

It didn't. Instead I got a message saying, "The virtual machine appears to be in use."

It isn't. Now my bootcamp partition, and portable hard drive are refusing to mount in the Mac. They've been formatted in NTFS, which I've never had a problem with. As my understanding the Mac can mount NTFS drives it just cannot write to them. I've installed NTFS for Mac, and that cured that in the past, but I've never not been able to mount the drives. Any thoughts?

Also VMware still thinks the virtual machine is in use, even though the windows drive isn't even mounted..

Very annoyed! It's times like these when as a Windows user I would just format and start again.. Not looking forward to that prospect.

2. VespR thread starter macrumors regular

I've spoke to soon... Uninstalled NTFS for Mac, drives are now mounting. Am using MacFuse and NFTS3G which seems to be working. Have used NTFS for Mac for ages and never ran into problems.

Now onto VMware.. Any thoughts? Have deleted the bootcamp files in my users/library/application support....

Yet still no luck.

3. VespR thread starter macrumors regular

Uninstalled/reinstalled VMware. Appears to be working.

Sometimes it just doesn't work. Just try again and it might!