My Mac is needin' some Geek Love

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jczubach, Aug 23, 2007.

1. jczubach macrumors 6502

jczubach

About 3 days ago my mpb suddenly lost the ability to upload images/documents via googlemail, this forum, etc. When i click on send (with an attachment) there is a brief flash in the titlebar and then nothing. as soon as i remove the attachment, it sends fine. Attempts with attachments on this forum result in an error message: [Safari can't open the page"http//macrumors.co...do=manageattach&p=".the error was:"POSIX error: Invalid arguement" (NSPOSIXErrorDomain:22) Please choose Report Bugs to Apple from the Safari menu....] Which I have done. Also reported issue to google. Of course, no reponse. In the meantime i have run the gamut of troubleshooting steps: Disk Utilities (permissions always fine); removed files from ~/library/input managers and restart; fsk- fy: applejack; reinstalled safari w/updates; all have gone without a hitch , yet the problem persists.
    This morning i created a new user and attachment went through, no problemo!:eek: However i'm stuck with this in my other account and am more than a little curious as to what is going on. No issues with downloads, or anything else for that matter:D:mad::( Don't know where else to look. Any ideas???:confused:(need a better smilie for consternation)

2. todd2000 macrumors 68000

Have you tried deleting your Safari Prefs? /User/Library/Preferences, and delete com.apple.Safari.plist, restart Safari. Thats the only thing I could think if it works with a different user.

3. jczubach thread starter macrumors 6502

jczubach

Thanks todd, yes i deleted the safari.plst, also:
    com.apple.universalaccess
    com.apple.apple.loginwindow
    com.systemuniserver
    and com.apple.hitoolbox
    NADA!!!

4. todd2000 macrumors 68000

Sorry you seem to have done everything I would have done, Im out of ideas :) Maybe just use the new Username? I know it's a PIA, but it beats re-installing.

5. jczubach thread starter macrumors 6502

jczubach

OK this is the conclusion i am coming to as well. Now, what's the best method to port my files over to the new admin user, is it via root?

6. MarkR macrumors newbie

Try rebooting into safe mode. Once in safe mode, just restart again as normal.

I ran into a user-specific issue after installing iWork '08. I worked through it with Apple support, and we just could not figure out what was going on. As a last resort, he had me boot into safe mode and then restart normally. I did that and the problem disappeared.

Apparently, booting into safe mode resets a whole bunch of user-specific stuff, and this may help you out.

7. jczubach thread starter macrumors 6502

jczubach

Ahhhhh... thanks Mark, something i hadn't thought of yet, I guess you are smarter than a macrumors 5th grader!;)Will attempt this tactic momentarily..

8. jczubach thread starter macrumors 6502

jczubach

Well, safe mode was a big negatory.:confused:
    I'd still like to get to the bottom of this, so i don't repeat this error again(if indeed i've done something wrong). any ideas where this might turn up in the console logs? I am no geek/genius and have no idea what to look for.One other thing, i Am able to send attachments via messenger and the apple mail program, which leads me to suspect i've got a conflict/corruption in Safari.

9. jczubach thread starter macrumors 6502

jczubach

OK, this dude really is Smarter than a 5th grader:

fr. Hawaiian_Starman (at Apple discussions):
    "Hi
    This may be a solution for you and others adding their voice to the thread. Go to the Finder: HD>Users>Your User Account>Library>Cache. Move the Safari folder to the trash, then restart the computer/Safari. Sometimes a corrupted cache file can create problems on uploads in Safari."
    :D:D:D Problem solved! Phew!