My Mac is needin' some Geek Love

jczubach

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 15, 2007
northwest
About 3 days ago my mpb suddenly lost the ability to upload images/documents via googlemail, this forum, etc. When i click on send (with an attachment) there is a brief flash in the titlebar and then nothing. as soon as i remove the attachment, it sends fine. Attempts with attachments on this forum result in an error message: [Safari can't open the page"http//macrumors.co...do=manageattach&p=".the error was:"POSIX error: Invalid arguement" (NSPOSIXErrorDomain:22) Please choose Report Bugs to Apple from the Safari menu....] Which I have done. Also reported issue to google. Of course, no reponse. In the meantime i have run the gamut of troubleshooting steps: Disk Utilities (permissions always fine); removed files from ~/library/input managers and restart; fsk- fy: applejack; reinstalled safari w/updates; all have gone without a hitch , yet the problem persists.
This morning i created a new user and attachment went through, no problemo!:eek: However i'm stuck with this in my other account and am more than a little curious as to what is going on. No issues with downloads, or anything else for that matter:D:mad::( Don't know where else to look. Any ideas???:confused:(need a better smilie for consternation)

todd2000

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2005
Danville, VA
Have you tried deleting your Safari Prefs? /User/Library/Preferences, and delete com.apple.Safari.plist, restart Safari. Thats the only thing I could think if it works with a different user.

jczubach

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 15, 2007
northwest
Thanks todd, yes i deleted the safari.plst, also:
com.apple.universalaccess
com.apple.apple.loginwindow
com.systemuniserver
and com.apple.hitoolbox
NADA!!!

todd2000

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2005
Danville, VA
Sorry you seem to have done everything I would have done, Im out of ideas :) Maybe just use the new Username? I know it's a PIA, but it beats re-installing.

jczubach

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 15, 2007
northwest
OK this is the conclusion i am coming to as well. Now, what's the best method to port my files over to the new admin user, is it via root?

MarkR

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2006
Brighton, MI
OK this is the conclusion i am coming to as well. Now, what's the best method to port my files over to the new admin user, is it via root?
Try rebooting into safe mode. Once in safe mode, just restart again as normal.

I ran into a user-specific issue after installing iWork '08. I worked through it with Apple support, and we just could not figure out what was going on. As a last resort, he had me boot into safe mode and then restart normally. I did that and the problem disappeared.

Apparently, booting into safe mode resets a whole bunch of user-specific stuff, and this may help you out.

jczubach

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 15, 2007
northwest
Ahhhhh... thanks Mark, something i hadn't thought of yet, I guess you are smarter than a macrumors 5th grader!;)Will attempt this tactic momentarily..

jczubach

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 15, 2007
northwest
Well, safe mode was a big negatory.:confused:
I'd still like to get to the bottom of this, so i don't repeat this error again(if indeed i've done something wrong). any ideas where this might turn up in the console logs? I am no geek/genius and have no idea what to look for.One other thing, i Am able to send attachments via messenger and the apple mail program, which leads me to suspect i've got a conflict/corruption in Safari.

jczubach

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 15, 2007
northwest
OK, this dude really is Smarter than a 5th grader:

fr. Hawaiian_Starman (at Apple discussions):
"Hi
This may be a solution for you and others adding their voice to the thread. Go to the Finder: HD>Users>Your User Account>Library>Cache. Move the Safari folder to the trash, then restart the computer/Safari. Sometimes a corrupted cache file can create problems on uploads in Safari."
:D:D:D Problem solved! Phew!