My mac is slower now and I'm not sure why.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Mjmar, Aug 24, 2009.

1. Mjmar macrumors 65816

My Mac seems to take much longer to launch applications than it did when I first got it. I am accustomed to think that it's a virus, coming from a PC, but I'm not sure how I would've gotten it or if it's even possible. Is this possible? Also, could it be the fact that my hard drive is about 95% full? I'm not sure if that makes a difference. I've been monitoring the RAM and CPU usage, and I've never seen either one of them being used at 100% yet it takes 20 bounces to launch Firefox and iTunes... I'm using a 2.4ghz C2D MacBook with 2gb of RAM. Any help is appreciated.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Virus: not possible.
    HDD: Yeah, that'd be it.

You want to keep your hard drive at least 10% empty or you'll start to see a slowdown.

3. Mjmar thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks for the reply... Now I have one more question. I'm going to purchase a new (higher capacity) internal hard drive, but am also going to upgrade to Snow Leopard. I want to put in the new hard drive, install Snow Leopard, and then back up with my Leopard time machine backup. Not sure if it's possible or the easiest way though...