My mac is slower

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by freddy-b, Jan 20, 2011.

1. freddy-b macrumors regular

My 3 week old MBP is slower at booting up.. and its getting really strange.. it seems it runs much slower too..

:S any help?

Thanks,
    fred

2. DarkVinda macrumors regular

DarkVinda

i got a 2.4 c2d 4gb ram and it doesnt take ages to boot but by no means rapid...

little hint - SLEEP :) i use sleep if i have to move the macbook i think i've only ever turned it off fully if i know its not going to be used for a few days...

what sort of time frame are we looking here - will try time mine from a cold boot and get back to you...

also what do you have under your user login items???

3. freddy-b thread starter macrumors regular

i just took all my user login items.. but it still takes a long time to boot up.. like when the blue screen comes up when its booting it stays with the loder wheel for 15secs or more..

when i go to bed.. i put it to sleep.. i never shut it down.. but i like to use windows.. on boot camp sometimes.. so it botheres me.. when i boot back up 2 OSX..

4. Poncho macrumors 6502

Poncho

Yes, log-in items is the first place to look.

Then launch Activity Monitor and see what processes are running. Anything taking up a lot of CPU?

Might be launch daemons et cetc
    But it's funny, my mac has been doing the same for the last few months. White screen with spinning wheel for 10 mins or so. Keep meaning to boot in verbose mode so I can see what's going on, but haven't got round to it yet.

5. freddy-b thread starter macrumors regular

the app that is taking the most CPU is skype.. cause iam chattin wid a friend..

but 3 days ago it wasnt as slow as it is 2day.. and i still used skype..

6. Blu101 macrumors 6502a

Blu101

It's good to shut it down overnight once per week.

Make sure you download Microsoft Security Essentials for your Windows partition - free anti-virus from MS (better than the typical McAfee/Norton).

And quit apps when not using them - frees up RAM.

7. diogojg20 macrumors newbie

diogojg20

Yeah I agree with you.. you should install a free antivirus like..?..? just don´t use Sophos Anti-Virus it was considered the worst anti-virus for windows :)

Cheers Diogojg20

8. freddy-b thread starter macrumors regular

gd to know, good to know...

9. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Wipe the hard drive clean and do a re-install :D

10. SurferMan macrumors 65816

I just had the same thing sorta happen, long boot up time (it would stay on that white screen with the spinning wheel thing at the bottom for a few minutes), then os/x started freezing and acting slow (could click a program and wait like a minute for it to open), browsers would freze. Disk Utility at 1st kept telling me there were errors but could not fix it, went to re-install os/x and it told me part way through it could not install. Then I went back to disk utility, this time it found no issues or errors, and install went perfect.

Computer is back to normal, fast. No idea what happened, just must been an glitch/error on the hd, but it works fine now.

11. freddy-b thread starter macrumors regular

yea, but i have loads of documents, pics.. and things and iam not bothered to go get an external hdd and wait till it backs everything up.. ect.. u guys sure there isnt another way..?

This was 1 of the reasons i bought a mac.. because its quick.. and now iam kinda disapointed. ::rolleyes:

12. Merkava_4 macrumors 6502a

Have you used Disk Utility to verify and repair permissions? I find that it speeds things up after running it.

13. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Well you bought it for the wrong reason then.
    Macs are not known for their blazing speed.
    Reliability, yes (sort of these days).
    Ease of OS, yes.
    But not speed.

Also if you can't be arsed to get an external drive and do a proper backup and clean reinstall, then what's the use of even asking for help?

14. jenzjen macrumors 68000

I suspect you've downloaded a lot of stuff that gunked up the OS, like someone before said, get an external drive, back up the important stuff and do a clean wipe. This will get you back to zippy. This is the only way.

Oh, by the way, I'm sure your Mac is disappointed in you for spending $1k on a machine but huff 'n puff about another $100 on a decent external :)

15. fibrizo macrumors 6502

fibrizo

If you haven't tried yet, a PRAM reset can help with boot issues/speed. Some of my relative's Macs need a pram reset every so often for some reason to restore boot speed.

16. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

When you first get a PC (or Mac) right out of the box, the thing will have its fastest boot up times and will appear pretty snappy.

As time goes on, PCs and Macs tend to slow down.

The biggest reason for this (which didn't exist a lot before broadband) are massive downloads. While it may be necessary for security and updates, just about every company (unfortunately Apple, too) works very hard to get an OS released and working well and have good systems in their new computers, but pays way less attention to the quality of patches/updates.

When I used to fix computers before broadband, there was little degradation in boot up times and common tasks. But with large downloads, which happens with the newer versions of Windows and to a slightly lesser degree, OS X, it's part of the picture. If you don't know how to already, you may have to have a tech see your machine to get it working or at the very least purchase some useful utilities that can optimize your computer. That's not a popular answer, but until companies start being responsible for their downloads, this will have to be the case.

Look at the brightside in that at least (I hope) you don't have Vista where a late summer black Tuesday (regular Tuesday Microsoft update) left the OS at its most vulnerable ever and buggy. It was in fact the perfect malware right from the horses mouth.:eek: I have had to deal with Apple OS updates throwing peripherals off the network and then have to contact the peripheral's 800 number to solve the issue brought on by an OS X patch I really never needed.

17. freddy-b thread starter macrumors regular

ive done that. :p

:S iam gonna get an external HDD

yep, i have downloaded lots of stuff. :p

done a preset.. :)

ive bought the clean my mac app.. its good.. but downt make much diffreance.

18. jenzjen macrumors 68000

For some reason, I think you're missing the point. Clean my Mac, etc all that even on its best days not as good as doing a clean install. Do the clean install, and you will be back to fast.

19. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

I agree that, when all else fails, or doesn't live up to expectations, a clean install is best (At least you don't have to buy a new machine). This is far more true with Windows, especially older versions.

20. smallnshort247 macrumors 6502a

smallnshort247

My advice is to do a clean install when Lion comes out. When I did my clean install, things became a lot faster. I got rid of a lot of old files I didn't use anymore.

21. walterwhite macrumors 6502

walterwhite

You Cant go wrong with a good backup... especially one you can have off site.

22. Brdl04 macrumors regular

Brdl04

My wife's 2007 macbook boots up faster than my 2009 Macbook pro. who knows why :)

23. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

What versions of OS X do you have?

Tiger was a fabulous OS in many respects. While Leopard was a new look, it wasn't prime time and had to be quickly replaced with Snow Leopard.

Most of Leopard's issues were with networking with PCs so it won't affect many here, however, Leopard kept with Apple's pretty consistent failure (or lack of stability by Apple's very high standards) with odd numbered OS's. (OS X v.1, v.3, and v.5 not living up to the much more stable Jaguar which was version 2, Tiger (4), and Snow Leopard (6) OS X renditions).

That being said, I have seen some issues as a technician with Snow Leopard issues with slow boot up times.

24. Brdl04 macrumors regular

Brdl04

My wife and I were both on Snow Leopard. The ONLY thing I can think of is I did have windows XP on a partitioned HD.

25. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

^^^this is why some technicians and high end users truly believe to run Windows, it is smarter to use a PC and not bog up a Mac (which is now run on Intel based hardware).

While I don't have a strong opinion either way, there are plenty of posts on the internet who call for having two machines, which is one with OS X (Apple or Hackintosh) and one with a dedicated Windows OS. It's cleaner that way, and while we don't know everything about having both on one machine very long term, it's easy enough to run two machines.

Personally, I can run both but I choose to have my Apple Core 2 Duo Mac just have OS X. For Windows, I have Windows 7 on a Gateway PC. This simplifies it for me since with the Mac, I just keep personal files on the machine and feel safe, especially with a decent Clam AV program on it.

For the PC, I leave important files off of it (keeping them on outside storage) and like PCs with Windows before it, I run utilities and AV often to keep it optimal. It's amazing how quickly a PC with Windows can degrade in speed compared to a computer with Linux or OS X (or even OS 9).