My MAC isn't completely solid

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by SteelCity, May 13, 2009.

1. SteelCity macrumors newbie

First let me say that I LOVE my MAC. I recently switched and see no reason to ever go back, I am happier than I thought I would be. Also let me say that I am a realist, I understand that nothing is perfect and that even a great MAC could have the common problems like freezing, so I am NOT bashing my MAC.

I bought a brand new 24" iMac from the Apple Store last month, it is the newest model, but it is the bottom level 24" model (base, no upgrades except the wireless mouse and keyboard).

In the month that I've had my iMac I have had about 8 small problems. It's usually a freeze where the mouse or keyboard doesn't work. It's not a BlueTooth connection problem, it's the computer itself because I will see the status bar in Safari stop moving. Usually it happens when browsing thru the normal webpages that I frequent. I do surf kinda fast, but this computer should be able to handle that, no? When it freezes like this I will press the power button so it goes to sleep, then press it again to wake it up. This will usually clear the problem.

Also, just now I was surfing and out of the blue the computer froze and I saw the beachball, but 3 seconds later it went away and unfroze on it's own.

I think I usually get the freezes after the computer is running for a long time, but I thought the Mac was supposed to be able to run without being rebooted?

I haven't installed any problems, I'm running completely stock, browsing with Safari.

Like I said earlier, these problems aren't a big deal. But if there is something I could do about it, please let me know.

Thanks!

2. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

Sounds like a RAM issue, but without more info it's really hard to say. How many programs are you running at one time, and which ones? How many tabs/windows of Safari do you have open?

3. SteelCity thread starter macrumors newbie

One program (Safari) and maybe 3 tabs. The few times that I've had a dozen or so tabs open it has been solid.

4. California macrumors 68040

California

This happened on my new al macbook

The OS is loaded onto the hard drive by computers at the factory.

Apple told me to reinstall the OS with the OEM dvds and it fixed it.

I also upgraded the ram at Apple from two to four gigs while I was at it.

P.S. When a friend of mine got a new iMac last year, I strongly urged him to get the then available wired keyboard instead of bluetooth. Unless you have an unlimited supply of batteries at hand, it sucks. Apple used to supply an extended usb cord for those of us who like to have bluetooth's freedom without bluetooth's issues. My Powermac has that cord and when I plug in my big keyboard to my macbook and use it with a display, it is great, too.

5. SteelCity thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey California. I just check my Bluetooth properties and see that my mouse has a full 5 bars of power and the keyboard has 4 bars. That is after a month of heavy use. I am VERY happy with that, it's only 5 batteries and I could buy a 32 pack of Energizer at Home Depot for about $13, that will last me the next 5 years or so.

As for the freezing, you say that just reinstalling the OS will clear my problems? Two questions:

A) Were you having the same problems I described, or just similar?
    B) When reinstalling from the OEM DVDs, is it the same as the original install, or is there a lot of extra I need to hunt down and install?

On Windows based PCs I was accustomed to things such as chipset or IDE drivers, I knew to find what I needed and install them at the proper time. But I am new to MAC and don't want to F-up an install of the OS.

6. BlackMax macrumors 6502a

BlackMax

If you have an Apple wireless keyboard and mouse do yourself a favor and pickup a Sanyo Eneloop Power Pack with Battery Charger, 8 AA & 2 AAA Batteries Plus 4 C & 4 D Size Adapter rechargeable batteries and you'll never have to purchase another battery in your life.

These batteries seem to stay charged longer than other alkaline and rechargeable batteries I've used.

I got mine at Costo for $28 I believe, but here is the same package ( Eneloop Power Pack ) on Amazon.com

7. Morod macrumors 68000

Morod

B... Everything you need is on the OEM DVDs. Do an Archive And Install. Make sure the box is checked for the option "preserve users and network settings".
    Good luck!