My mac keeps downloading powerpoints as .ppt.pps

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bluesTank, Nov 6, 2008.

1. bluesTank macrumors regular

The file itself is a .ppt file before I click download, but once I download it, it saves it as a .ppt.pps file which automatically opens it in "presentation mode" and doesn't allow editing since it closes when you press esc.

My friends mac does not have the same problem when downloading from the same sources.

I can fix it by deleting the .pps from the end of the name, but it seems stupid for my macbook to add that automatically.

Anyone know how to change this?

2. mayanka89 macrumors regular

mayanka89

I have that same issue with my new 2.4 Macbook. I open the .pps file in Powerpoint, then save as a .ppt file.

3. digitaldave macrumors regular

digitaldave

I had the same problem - just rename the file as .ppt, it works fine then. No idea why it happens though...

4. bluesTank thread starter macrumors regular

It didn't always do this, I swear it just started happening recently.

It also doesn't happen on my friends 2.4 new macbook

5. Santa Rosa macrumors 65816

Santa Rosa

Have been having this problem myself recently as well. You can get round it as you say by changing the file name, but that doesnt really seem satisfactory does it? :)

If anyone can find a solution to this it would be much appreciated. I have looked into it briefly but cannot find much on it. There was some talk that it was caused by a recent update which seems very plausible as my Mac's have never dealt with PPT's like this until recently either. Maybe it was something to do with the 12.1.4 update?

Some of the Microsoft Mac team lurk around on the forums so hopefully they will see this thread and chime in :)

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

7. Santa Rosa macrumors 65816

Santa Rosa

Yea happens when downloading from Safari.

8. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Hint, don't use Safari. Safari has had some strange MIME type issues in the past where it will append a new extension onto a file.

I just remove the appended extension and/or use FireFox.

9. Santa Rosa macrumors 65816

Santa Rosa

Fair call but its one of those problems that would like to not have to change browser as I like using Safari and dont want to bothered with having another browser.

Ammending the file looks like whats going to happen at the moment. So you think its something in Safari and nothing to do with Office?

Might raise it with Apple on the feedback page.

10. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

It's something to do with how Safari is interpreting MIME types. I've had it happen where .txt files suddenly have a .log extension appended onto them.

In a few instances Safari will present the raw binary data instead of playing a video file.

11. Santa Rosa macrumors 65816

Santa Rosa

Do you have any idea how to alter this behavior?

12. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Not that I know of.

I remember some issues with .gz and .dmg as well.

13. Santa Rosa macrumors 65816

Santa Rosa

This thread has a large amount of information on the topic. Have read through it and it looks like it may only be an issue with Powerpoint now, but not 100% sure on that. Its worth a look anyway.

14. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I had this problem as well. I was using Firefox to download PowerPoint files. I found that before, I downloaded in the .ppt.pps extension, but now it has .ppt and .pps files. The .pps file will just disappear when the download finishes. Not that I'm complaining, I think it was the file server's error.