My Mac Keeps Losing Harddrive Space

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by scyther890, Nov 20, 2009.

1. scyther890 macrumors newbie

Hey everyone, im new to Macrumors so don't blame me

Hi, my imac had 150GB of space left, but then after a while the space started to deplete. i had realised about 3 hours ago, i had approximately 145 GB of space free. But then i realisied things started to slow down, i checked my space and i had a whopping 75 Gb left.. The only stuff i had done recently was 1 Going on Msn 2. Going on Safari and writing this post 3. playing my game(urt4.1). But i restarted and my space went back to normal, BUT the problem is still happening over time. Check this out ( this was after i restarted btw) Screen shot 2009-11-21 at 3.35.43 PM.png Then this was approximately 40 min after that screenie. Screen shot 2009-11-21 at 3.38.21 PM.png ( if you cant see the bottom it says 144.8 GB available)WTF! My sister recently put her backup onto the desktop adn i recently downloaded simple rar for the mac. Please help, im scared if i have a virus:( PLEASE HELP

Thnx

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

You may just have something that is dumping a log file that isn't getting cleaned up and is growing super fast. You might be able to use Disc Inventory X from http://www.derlien.com/ to see where on your disc the space is going.

B

3. scyther890 thread starter macrumors newbie

It says i have 135 GB free, waht do i do now?

4. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Restart your computer, run only Disk Inventory X...

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

And look for a 10 GB+ folder!

B

6. scyther890 thread starter macrumors newbie

(wtf my harddrive is now only 145Gb available..) i double click the harddrive when i run it right? if thts right its loading now

7. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Yup. It'll show you a map of your HDD. Look for big stuff.

B

8. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Disk Utility will also tell you how much is free. Additionally, Activity Monitor and numerous third-party applications can also monitor it live.

9. scyther890 thread starter macrumors newbie

HOLY CRAP i loaded it, its full of colourful boxes, now what do i do ( soz im crap at this type of stuff)

oh yeah and its depleting btw ..

10. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

What Disk Inventory X does is color codes the files and places their sizes in a large rectangle. The bigger the shape - the bigger the file size. Therefore a 10 GB File is going to be fairly recognizable. If you click on a shape, it should give you a file path.

You can also check out DaisyDisk, it's virtually the same thing, the interfaces might be easier to navigate?

11. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

DaisyDisk is nice but doesn't seem worth $20. I got my license free from MacHeist. You may be right in this case as what I don't like about DD is that it doesn't fill the screen with information. Quite often there is a lot of black on the screen as seen in the screenshots, and black doesn't tell me what's on my disk. It could perhaps highlight things better for scyther890's case.

B

12. scyther890 thread starter macrumors newbie

wait so i got it now what do i do? fidn a 10 GB folder? oh and uhh 143.98GB available SO WHAT DO I DO????:mad:

This is what it looks like... Screen shot 2009-11-21 at 5.06.58 PM.png

13. Full of Win macrumors 68030

Full of Win

This happened to me a few months ago. Called Apple, and they could not fix the issue. Also, I could not even open the consul up, which limited me even more. I eventually reinstalled the OS.

Just one thing, looking in your activity monitor, do you see a process taking a lot of CPU resources up when everything is closed down (e.g. all apps closed)?

I'm curious if MDS is running high.

14. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

As Full of Win reiterated making sure everything is closed besides Safari and DiskInventory X is best for doing this.

There is that huge 19 GB folder, what is that?

15. scyther890 thread starter macrumors newbie

uhhh for FUll Of Win, there is nothign higher than 1.5 cpu, and that is the activity monitor itself. For goldenboy, the 19Gb, there are 2, 1 is called folder*green(WTF I RECKON) and the other is for the Mp3 which is normal..
    Someone help, reinstallign Os? wont that delete your data?

and to make it even worse, now even if i restart i gradually still lose some space( remember be4 it was 145.03 GB free after restart?, yeah well now its 149.97...)I NEED HELLP PLZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

16. Full of Win macrumors 68030

Full of Win

OK, hold on. When Apple tried to fix mine, they tried to do repair the disk

The disk utility in OS X cannot repair the directory structure on a startup disk (verify it, not fix it), so you will need to run it from the install disk. Take your install disk that came with your Mac, put it in and restart. Do NOT reinstall it, but rather go to the Utility and this will have the scanner you need.

Here is a little more information

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.5/en/8492.html

17. scyther890 thread starter macrumors newbie

uhhh in a simpler version pleasE?

uhh this may be a problem, i have snow leopard but my cousin let my install it, so it was his, do i use mac osx leopard or snow leopard disc??

OMG, i held restart when i booted it up,, it did the loading bar thingy, then i logged in with the snow leopard backround, and now i have 145.41 left( ITS STILL LOSIGN SPACE THOUGH!)

18. kelemi macrumors newbie

Help needed!!

I am having a similar problem. the available space is decreasing automatically on its own and nothing is running..
    I lost around 80GB in 20 hours in the available space info.
    If I restart the computer, it will be back to normal and start decreasing again slowly on it's own.

Had monitored file size, folder size intensively , no big difference found.
    But the available space just keep getting smaller and smaller, it's like an invisible file eating up free space on the hard drive.

Wondering if you ever figure out what's the reason.
    :confused::confused::confused: