My mac laptop won't boot

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Zachh, Jul 21, 2010.

1. Zachh macrumors newbie

Hi, im having a problem with my mac, I turned it off earlier on today and only recently turned it back on to find that it won't boot up (meaning it stays on the apple logo and swirly loading wheel and doesn't do anything) I've tried safe mode but it appears with a question Mark on a folder for a split second (this didn't happen when i tried it in safe mode)

So i tried a last resort, reinstalling my OS, bearing in mind I'm also using an external CD drive as my one inside my mac has broke. I get to the part where it says "insert disk 2 to begin in-stallion" i do so then my external cd drive stops an my laptop freezes, the loading wheel on my curser just carries on turning. I have no access to my OS at all...

Any suggestions please? :(

2. celticpride678

Sounds like the hard drive has failed. But, still, try resetting the SMC and PRAM.

3. aarond12 macrumors 65816

aarond12

Uncle Steve™ wants you to stop fixing your old computer and get a new one! :D

Seriously, though, I agree with Celtic. It sounds like your hard drive is dying. Likely that the number of bad sectors has exceeded the spare sectors.

For our information, what model Mac is this?

-Aaron-

4. Zachh thread starter macrumors newbie

MacBook, it's 2 years old from January next year when bought new resetting the SMC and PRAM did nothing :(

5. Zachh thread starter macrumors newbie

MacBook, it's 2 years old from January next year when bought new resetting the SMC and PRAM did nothing :(

Is it worth using disk utility to erase/repair?