My Mac Mini just died

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by vandrv, Sep 22, 2017.

1. vandrv macrumors regular

I have a late 2012 mini that just died. It is the quad core I7 with 16 gigs of ram. It was running when I left for work this morning and when I got home it was dead. I tried rebooting it and it chimes but goes no further. Pressing te option key makes no difference. I am using a Samsung 250 gig SSD as the boot drive but it also has the original hard drive installed so I should be able to boot from there, but there is no screen to be able to change this. Any ideas as to how to proceed. I am not a particularly techie guy. If it needs to be repaired I would appreciate opinions as to whether it is worth fixing. I'm not too worried about losing anything on the computer. Thanks for any help

2. vandrv thread starter macrumors regular

--- Post Merged, Sep 23, 2017 ---
    I left the computer unplugged for a couple of hours and it booted up normally. I wonder do minis have something in them that causes them to shutdown if they overheat? It was quite warm to the touch when I got home.

3. Phil in ocala Suspended

Phil in ocala

Buy DiskWarrior.....best for Mac ever...you must buy on line they send you a thumb drive with the software inside to boot from.

4. Micky Do macrumors 68000

Micky Do

Same for my first Mac Mini, the 2005 original. I figured it might be the power supply, but put up with it for several months. I had been in the habit of shutting down at the end of the day, but then took to putting it to sleep instead, which incidentally is recommended practice by Apple. Eventually, when the HDD failed, I took it in to the shop to get checked. They confirmed the power supply was the problem.

A new power supply, new HDD, and a legit copy of Microsoft Office (they had cracked the preinstalled copy so I didn't have to pay to licence it) was going to set me back nearly half the price of a new Mac Mini….. I decide replacement was more cost effective than repair, even though it was only four years old.

I haven't had the issue with the 2009 model I have been using since then, but its power supply has had an easier time than the first one. An upgrade to the line to the neighbourhood makes for less fluctuation in the mains supply. I replaced the UPS that got knocked out by a surge that left several provinces without power, with a better quality one with AVR (auto voltage regulation). I also whacked a 2 metre copper peg into the ground and changed to three pin earthed sockets in my apartment.

5. vandrv thread starter macrumors regular

--- Post Merged, Sep 23, 2017 ---
    I guess it could be a power supply issue, I just don't know. I have had a few problems with it just freezing and having to be restarted, but this was the first time it has shut itself off and refused to reboot. I will just live with it for now and see what happens. It would ordinarily be a no brainer if it needs some sort of hardware repair, but it looks like this mini is the holy grail of Mac minis. They seem to sell for way more than I paid for this one.

6. krause734 macrumors 6502a

krause734

7. vandrv thread starter macrumors regular

I have an Apple cinema monitor and am using the cable supplied with it connected to an hdmi adapter.
    I was unable to change startup disks to boot it up. I got no further than a black screen no matter what I did.

8. krause734 macrumors 6502a

krause734

Just throwing out some ideas:
    1. Different type of cable
    2. Different monitor (try a TV if you have one)
    3. Different external boot drive (might be able to make one at a library)
    4. Apple Store might have some ideas

9. vandrv thread starter macrumors regular

I have an external boot drive but I couldn't get beyond a black screen to boot from it. I guess I need to change my title as the computer isn't really dead anymore. After unplugging it, letting it sit and cool off for a couple of hours, it booted up normally and seemed good to go. So I don't think the cable is the issue. If it does it again I will have it looked at and go from there.

10. krause734 macrumors 6502a

krause734

Do you leave it running all the time? Might be overheating. I shut mine down at night.

11. vandrv thread starter macrumors regular

I generally don't leave it running all the time. I had signed up for Backblaze and was uploading to it so it had been running for quite a while. When I got home from work it had shut down but was still quite warm. My guess is that it is an overheating issue, as well.

12. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

Once in a while I've seen my own Mini "unwilling to wake" from a period of sleep.

Sometimes, just holding the power-on button in until it shuts down, and then rebooting, "cures it".

I think it might have something to do with having my display connected via HDMI, with "synch between" the display and the Mac being lost at some point while it's sleeping.

No matter.
    Runs fine again after a reboot.

13. vandrv thread starter macrumors regular

Mine will do something like that occasionally but this was different.It wasn't sleeping it was off. When I restarted it, it would chime but the screen stayed black and would go no further.

14. belltree macrumors 6502

Have you tried resetting your pram (Power on, Option+Command+P+R, release after you hear the chime again)?

15. vandrv thread starter macrumors regular