My mac now only registers a little X for the battery...

Codizzo Hawks

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 20, 2007
Longview, WA
Hello, i have had this mac for almost a year now
i went away on vacation and forgot to turn it off when i left, (its a laptop)
when i came back i plugged it back in and it turned on ok but the battery isnt charging, its pretty frustrating.

all i see is the battery icon with an X in the top :/

fistful

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2004
Socan
I started having a similar problem the last few days. First my powerbook wouldn't wake from sleep. After I restarted the battery icon was showing a black x. Tried resetting the PMU with no change. I started using it plugged in and eventually it started to charge. Unplugged it and let it sleep overnight and it wouldn't wake, same thing occurred after I restarted. Hopefully it's working again but I haven't let it sleep more than a few minutes at a time.

I'm wondering if it has something to do with the 10.4.10 update, have you by chance installed it recently?

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
Have you tried restarting?

I had a similar problem, and restarting solved it the first time, but it happened again, so i had to get a battery replacement.

coastertux

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2006
If you have tried resetting the NVRAM and the PRAM and PMU, the circuitry in your battery has gone bad. You are going to need to get a new battery. If you have AppleCare it is covered under that.

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
If it's a macbook pro your battery is shot and needs to be replaced. Check the serial # on the apple website because it's most likely covered under the extended battery replacement plan.

theheyes

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2006
Manchester
Definitely take it back. The problem is with the battery itself. The fault occurs when the charge drains to the point where the battery goes into a sort of hibernation mode and can't wake itself from it.

theheyes

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2006
Manchester
Yes, its a very low power state that preserves the battery when the charge reaches zero. Some batteries just have problems waking from it. :)

jabrowntx

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2007
Had the same problem with my MacBook last summer. Took it to the Genius Bar and after trying to boot my machine directly then by their OS via firewire with no luck, they put in a new battery and all was well.