My Mac OS X Installer disk wont eject

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by helpplz, Jul 15, 2008.

1. helpplz macrumors newbie

By accident I inserted the Installation disk for the Mac OS X software even though it is already installed into my laptop. I tried ejecting the disk but the eject button would not do anything. I also attempted to hold down the track button while restarting my computer which did eject the disk but resulted in a bunch of small symbols flashing in the middle of my screen so I inserted the disk again. I really don't want to risk losing any of my files by re-installing the Mac OS software so I don't know how to quit the installation process.

2. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

Just to clarify, are you in the installation program or are you simply in regular OS X?

Either way, just having the disc in the drive won't automatically run the installer. (as long as you haven't input your admin password you're nowhere close to overwriting your current install).

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

4. jaikob macrumors 6502

jaikob

Reset The PRAM

Hold Control - Command - P - R at boot.

5. helpplz thread starter macrumors newbie

Right now I'm in the installation program with a screen that is asking me to pick a language with many languages listed.

6. helpplz thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry for my lack of knowledge but I'm not to bright with computers so when you say PRAM I don't really know what your talking about.

7. helpplz thread starter macrumors newbie

When I reset the PRAM will I lose any files or documents?

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No. Just hold Command-Option-P-R down while you reboot, until you hear the 2nd chime. You won't lose any data.

9. helpplz thread starter macrumors newbie

As the laptop restarted and started to reboot I held down the keys to reset the PRAM but the laptop continued to go right to the installation process again. Where I was greeted with the Screen that says Mac OS X and then lists many languages.

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Did you follow the directions in the link I sent you? Exactly?

Attached Files:

11. helpplz thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I followed the directions. Will my laptop be messed up if I ejected the disk while it was running?

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

As long as you're not in the middle of an installation, no.

13. helpplz thread starter macrumors newbie

AHHHH! I just got the disk to eject but my screen is white with the apple symbol and a circle with a line through it flashing repeatedly right over eachother!!!!! HELP!

14. superman193 macrumors regular

Restart the computer

15. helpplz thread starter macrumors newbie

Before I could restart it my computer shut down instantly. Should I restart it?

16. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Well, you COULD restart it, but if you leave it off, you'll probably have fewer problems with it! :D

17. helpplz thread starter macrumors newbie

your right i just restarted it and the same white page with flashing symbols appeared so i put in the disk and THE SAME THING STARTED ALL OVER

18. nakile macrumors regular

What do the flashing symbols look like?

19. helpplz thread starter macrumors newbie

I ended up just installing the program over again which pretty much refreshed my computer except that I was able to recover all of my work. However, I have run into another problem. While I was organizing my work into folders or while I was updating my laptop my garageband files were deleted. I don't know how or why this happened but they are not in the trash and I would like to know if there is any way to get them back. Thanks for all the help.

20. SamarthMistry macrumors newbie

Thank you

Thanks for the PRAM idea GGJstudios
    It worked for me

21. newyorknight macrumors newbie

What are you talking about??

Hi. There is no reaason to do a PRAM just to get out of the installation. From the choose language screen, click to go to next screen. It's not obvious, but there are menus on the upper left of your screen. Under Mac OSX Installer, just quit out. Then restart to get back to your desktop, as it was before.
    That's it!

22. jamestom macrumors newbie

much simpler solution

i only had to hold down the mouse button when restarting and my disk ejected.