Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

solaris8x86

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 24, 2007
Saturn
This is to announce that my Mac Pro 2010 (5,1) (3.46Ghz x 2, 64GB RAM) died today eventually after serving me for 13 years.

Here is a statistics of the durability of this Mac model:

1. The Mac Pro 5,1 seems come with a poor made motherboard that I replaced a total of 3 motherboards in the past 13 years.
  2. The CPU is tough. It had been powering on 12 hours a day for 13 years. Still stands till its final day.
  3. The dual socket CPU board died once in the past 13 years. Replaced once.
  4. The apple 980W power supply unit died once in the past 13 years. Replaced once.
  5. OWC made 64GB RAM (8 x 8GB ECC) died once (all 8 dimm). Replaced once.
  6. Vega 56 GPU upgraded. Samsung 970 1TB (MLC) upgrade.

And on yesterday, I have got an used MacBook Pro 2019 15' (intel i9 cpu, 32RAM) as a replacement from the second hand market. I need to get an eGPU chassis to reuse the item 6 for my "new" MacBook Pro. And to get a true thunderbolt-3 40Gbps NvME enclosure for my Samsung 970 Pro SSD. The geek benchmark of my "new" MacBook Pro intel i9 which was manufactured in 2019 scored at 7100. It is a bit faster than my old Mac Pro 5,1 (Xeon 3.46Ghz x 2 = score 5600) which was manufactured in 2010. The conclusion is, the laptop has to spend 10 year of time to catch up the speed of a desktop computer.

The reason of why I didn't get a silicon M series Mac is that I am a AWS cloud engineer. I have to run a dozen Linux VMs on my Mac everyday in my work for Linux testing and POC tasks. So I have to stick with the Intel Mac. So I could only to get an used Mac.

The Conclusion

The Mac Pro 5,1 was a problematic Mac due to poor made quality. But it brought me some delightful joy during its happy-time. Such as it lasted 9 releases of Mac OS cycles. It is considered a long live apple product. And thanks to the Opencore team. It was extended 3 more releases for me (Catalina, Big Sur, Monterey) by the Opencore project. Although the OS Ventura is an official end for it (due to no h264,265 hardware acceleration anymore and the open core team is unable to solve the problem). The Mac Pro 2010 (5,1) accompanied me at work with a couple companies that I served in this 13 year of time. Thanks again for it and sorry to see that Apple has committed a suicide path that no one wants their garbage silicon Mac for commercial application anymore. Go F themselves. Apple moronic employee and Steve no eyes to see.

• Love
Reactions: ZombiePhysicist

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
I recently upgraded to a Mac Studio, but still have my cMP networked via screen sharing.
I will never let it go.....🤨

Reactions: solaris8x86

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Jun 5, 2013
Australia
This is to announce that my Mac Pro 2010 (5,1) (3.46Ghz x 2, 64GB RAM) died today eventually after serving me for 13 years.

Same thing happened to me recently, 2009 machine I bought in 2014, and ran for 9 years. without any major components failing.

Now I have a 2019, it does some things better, some things worse, it's the second most expensive thing I own, after my car. But to put it in perspective, it cost me less in today-equivilent dollars, than the G3 Powerbook I bought new in 1999.

wegster

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2006
That's a nice run of 10+ years. :)
We had a few Mac Pros at work years back, and I usually bought my own gear including to bring into office (e.g. 15" MBP instead of some Dell POS, or VM-ing whatever came on said POS and running Linux as the host), but just couldn't pull the trigger on a personal Mac Pro ($$$$) - just hit my threshold for nope, as undoubtedly it would speed up various work across the years but I didn't 'need' it truly even when doing pretty large C/C++ app builds, so couldn't bring myself to fork up the $ for one.

Having said that, I've had a pretty good lifetime out of my MacBook pros, and even a plastic MacBook which I'd maxed out with aftermarket memory, replaced with larger faster HD, etc. - I think it's still somewhere and will power on. On PCs, I used to update something nearly yearly, and eventually stopped chasing 'fastest always' as I just needed to get work done. Over time I wound up writing less and less code, but still running a growing # of VMs, still doing some compiling or app dev here and there, and my MacBooks all gave pretty solid runs. I think my progression was something like Core 2 Duo 15" MBP (which wound up with two HDs or SSDs in it by the time I gave it up, then white MacBook 13 which got double the 'available from Apple' memory in it and replacement drive, then a 2011 15 MBP (upgraded to 16GB 1TB by the time I gave it up), then a 2015...16GB 1TB. I hit both the storage and RAM limits - which is a bad combination - if I at least had more storage the system could swap and not be entirely unusable. Meanwhile of course, Apple had nothing to offer me (short of e.g. Mac Pro which was pretty neglected at the time, and again...$$$$) as a viable replacement due to the 'era of stupid/Ive/thin at any cost and no 32GB options available). I jumped on the 2019 MBP 16" and yeah, it runs kinda hot, has (had - seems FINALLY fixed) the issue of the dGPU Radeon drawing excess power because I don't clamshell it, but it's a competent system and still running it.

Intel and Apple just hit a good stretch of 'who cares?' on lack of performance or significant updates - the 2015 was certainly faster than the 2011 but not by enormous amounts, and likewise even for the 2019 i9 vs the 2015, and that's before the port loss, Touch Bar without physical ESC key, butterfly keyboard, etc...

I literally just picked up a used MBP 14" M1 Max which is overall nice enough and fast, but Win11 ARM is like a never-ending advertisement for MS upsells (want updates quicker? Office 365! Want to buy gamepads for PC? ... wish I could just keep my ~5 year old Win10 VM...). Still sorting it but may wind up having to keep both systems.

And yeah, eGPUs - that was kind of exciting for a bit, and am kind of annoyed Apple nixed it on their silicon. Meh.

ForkHandles

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2012

1. The Mac Pro 5,1 seems come with a poor made motherboard that I replaced a total of 3 motherboards in the past 13 years.
  2. The CPU is tough. It had been powering on 12 hours a day for 13 years. Still stands till its final day.
  4. The apple 980W power supply unit died once in the past 13 years. Replaced once.

And on yesterday, I have got an used MacBook Pro 2019 15' (intel i9 cpu, 32RAM) as a replacement from the second hand market. I need to get an eGPU chassis to reuse the item 6 for my "new" MacBook Pro. And to get a true thunderbolt-3 40Gbps NvME enclosure for my Samsung 970 Pro SSD. The geek benchmark of my "new" MacBook Pro intel i9 which was manufactured in 2019 scored at 7100. It is a bit faster than my old Mac Pro 5,1 (Xeon 3.46Ghz x 2 = score 5600) which was manufactured in 2010. The conclusion is, the laptop has to spend 10 year of time to catch up the speed of a desktop computer.

The reason of why I didn't get a silicon M series Mac is that I am a AWS cloud engineer. I have to run a dozen Linux VMs on my Mac everyday in my work for Linux testing and POC tasks. So I have to stick with the Intel Mac. So I could only to get an used Mac.

The Conclusion

The Mac Pro 5,1 was a problematic Mac due to poor made quality. But it brought me some delightful joy during its happy-time. Such as it lasted 9 releases of Mac OS cycles. It is considered a long live apple product. And thanks to the Opencore team. It was extended 3 more releases for me (Catalina, Big Sur, Monterey) by the Opencore project. Although the OS Ventura is an official end for it (due to no h264,265 hardware acceleration anymore and the open core team is unable to solve the problem). The Mac Pro 2010 (5,1) accompanied me at work with a couple companies that I served in this 13 year of time. Thanks again for it and sorry to see that Apple has committed a suicide path that no one wants their garbage silicon Mac for commercial application anymore. Go F themselves. Apple moronic employee and Steve no eyes to see.
Your story reminds me of a man I heard of called 'Trigger' He worked for the local council as a road sweeper and always bragged that he had had the same Broom for 25 years!!!!

He was mindful to tell people that he had to replace the broom head 13 times and the broom handle 7 times. Nevertheless!!!!!

avro707

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2010

The Conclusion

It is a damn good run given how a lot of other Apple machines now seem to go much sooner than that.

Reactions: MarkC426
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.