My mac pro 8 core acts weird in Brazil

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by adamerik, Mar 14, 2009.

1. adamerik macrumors newbie

I have this problem, that I moved from Denmark to Brasil, and brought my mac pro, 8 core, which is a bit more than 1 year old. It has worked flawlessly in DK, but here in Brasil it has crashed a couple of times, and some times it won´t start up, a lamp blinks next to the turn on button and the fans are running intensively??

Could it be caused by different electricity?? What should I do??:confused:

Any suggestions are very much appreciated, thanks, Adam. :D

2. grue macrumors 65816

Try borrowing a UPS from someone, see if that fixes it.

3. rylin macrumors 6502

I.e., that wonderfully stable electricity output we have in the Nordics is a good thing.
    I wouldn't be surprised to hear that your local grid isn't as stable as it should be.

An UPS will regulate the power, making sure your MP doesn't get antsy.

I do hope you've got Apple Care on the machine though!

4. Gonk42 macrumors 6502

Electrical supply problems can cause some apparently totally unrelated faults.
    I don't know about the Mac Pro but a piece of equipment that I used in my previous job showed some very strange behaviour occasionally in Japan where the supply can sometimes get very low (of the order of 90V).

Maplin in the UK (and I'm sure plenty of other companies and places) sells a plug in device which measures voltage as well as power etc, it may be worth getting just to check the supply (it's easier than using a DVM and doesn't cost much ~£15 I think maybe even cheaper).