My mac pro is an insomniac

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by FireSlash, Jun 15, 2008.

1. FireSlash macrumors member

My mac has started waking up at random times. So far I've seen it happen once while I was playing MGS4 (Well away from the keyboard) and another time while I was asleep. I've turned WOL off, but it continues to do it. There are no scheduled wake times. Here's the system.log right after it wakes up.
    Ideas?

2. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Exorcist required? It's addicted to the internet?

This is an ethernet connection? That could be waking the Mac Pro. Under energy saver options tab, you can deselect the option to wake for ethernet administrator access. I'm not sure what else to check.

3. FireSlash thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, it's off. Sorry, I use 'WOL' (Wake On Lan) which isn't the same terminology that Apple uses.

4. Infrared macrumors 68000

Infrared

Looks like you have VMWare. Not very likely I suppose but..

could it be that you have Wake On Lan turned on inside a
    virtual machine, and that's the trigger? :)

5. FireSlash thread starter macrumors member

VMWare was not running either time. I'll try this just to be safe though.

EDIT: Looks like it's disabled, and greyed out. It appears the VMWare ethernet drivers do not support WOL.

6. johnniewalker macrumors member

Any resolution? I'm having the same problem

I've had my Mac Pro for a couple of months and I'm having the same problem.

I've tried disconnecting all leads except for the power lead butit still starts/wakes.

Can anyone help?

7. wheezy macrumors 65816

wheezy

If it's something to do with ethernet, maybe just unplug it and turn off airport, etc, so there can't be any outside communication. That will help narrow it down...

However, I would ask about your Bluetooth; is it always available? Have you ever noticed the icon with a squiggly through it? I have a White C2D Macbook and it suffers the same problem, so much so I can never put it to sleep and then in my backpack as chances are it will wake up and just overheat in the bag. My best research has determined it's something messed up with the bluetooth module. I haven't heard if MP's suffer the same problem, and my 3 week old MP has yet to become an insomniac so it might just be MB/MBP related.

8. johnniewalker macrumors member

I unplugged everything including the ethernet cable, just leaving the power lead connected, my Mac Pro doesn't have a bluetooth card installed either!

9. Karpfish macrumors 6502a

Karpfish

My Mac pro had this at one point. It would wake itself up several times during the night and scare the crap out of me with the fans going at full speed. I ended up just shutting it off every night because no one could find a solution for it. It ended up being fixed with the next update to OS X, couldn't tell you how or why.

10. bc008 macrumors 68000

bc008

my iMac has waken me up twice already with its blinding light :)

anyone figure this out?

11. wheezy macrumors 65816

wheezy

Well, you've flushed all my theories down the John. Bowing out...

12. johnniewalker macrumors member

After looking at my event logs I noticed EyeTV was mentoned several times:

"20/10/2008 22:45:37 [0x0-0x15015].com.elgato.eyetvhelper[174] *** eventType: wakepoweron"

The elgato software updates the program guide every hour and will wake the machine, sure enough I disabled this option and my Mac Pro now sleeps soundly!

I hadn't thought about the EyeTV software because I installed it on my Mac Mini and it got transferred using the migration tool when I got the Pro, I only use the elgato software for removing ads from programs I've recorded on the Mac Mini downstairs and have never actually connected the tuner!

Hope this helps others.