My Mac Pro review from a Photographer's perspective

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Renderz, Jul 22, 2008.

1. Renderz macrumors 6502

Hi all,

I'd like some feedback on my mac pro review using Photoshop and Lightroom. I'll be adding more when I have a bit more time focusing more on importing photos, printing setups, connections to cameras, back ups and storage.

For now I'd like people to read it and let me know what you think.

http://www.terrylee.net/blog/?p=135

Thanks all

2. matt321 macrumors member

Who are you trying to influence? Mac Users or Non-Mac Users?

For Non-Mac users, your statements are too biased. You need to be subjective, pointing out the positives AND the negatives. (Not having windows can be a big negative for some people)

For Mac users, no problem. If you are trying to convince Mac Mini and iMac users to splurge, you have done your job.

3. ventro macrumors 6502a

No offense, but there isn't much value in personal user reviews of big ticket items. This is because 99% of the time it just ends up becoming purchase justification, that is unless the person had some serious issues with the item that need resolving. So most user reviews tend to be overwhelmingly positive, to the point where it sounds like marketing lingo, or incredibly negative and even insulting to the manufacturer.

4. Renderz thread starter macrumors 6502

No offence taken, you are of course welcome to your opinion. In my particular case you are entirely wrong. I've had my Mac for over a year and a half. However I do not need to justify my reasons. I just wanted to be helpful. :cool:

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I have to agree the review is somewhat biased.
    I would love to understand more about why you said LR is far less cumbersome than Aperture. Sure, this was a Mac Pro review, but you brought it up. And frankly there has to be more cons then one. No?

6. Firefly2002 macrumors 65816

I can think of one con... no button to eject the optical drive.

There, you can write that :)

You also capitalized the "I" in Vista ("VIsta") which kinda jumped out at me... and you wrote "Opening multiple files does cause substantial loss of speed" under "Pros"

I guess you probably meant "doesn't," but it looks silly.

Oh, and you forgot to write out the Specs after you said "The specs are as follows".

Ever used ACDSee Pro (Windows)?

7. osin macrumors 6502

8. sejanus macrumors regular

your comments about aperture are so brief and unsubstantiated that they appear ignorant.

Aperture is actually *more* flexible than lightroom in terms of importing options. You can have it either manage your files completely, or you can use referenced folders, or a combination.

And I have not the faintest idea what you mean by changing workflow stages - thats more a critique of lightroom! In aperture you always have all controls available at any time. In lightroom you have to switch modes to get to different stuff, it's crazy.