My Mac Pro will not shut down on it's own?? Any ideas??

Discussion in 'macOS' started by macsrules, May 19, 2008.

1. macsrules macrumors regular

My new mac pro will not shut down on it's own anymore. When I select shutdown, the little twirling icon just keeps twirling and will not turn the computer off.

1. I install some software on the computer and am guessing that is what it causing the problem, However I don't want to reinstall the operating system if there is a fix.

2. Current I have to hold the power button down for a force shutdown. Is there some system utilities out there that I can run on the computer that will fix whatever is causing it to get hung up and not shutdown?

Any help would be great??

2. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

Wait for 10.5.3 and it will shutdown properly.

3. macsrules thread starter macrumors regular

Why do you say that, is this something that others are experiencing? Or are you just saying that because it is as good a guess as any?

4. BuleepMan macrumors member

BuleepMan

My iMac won't shut down either

My iMac was working well until I installed the 10.5.3 update and now my machine will not shut down either. The little spinning thingie just spins forever. I have no new software installed. Nothing has changes in y machine except the 10.5.3 update.

Any clues?

5. BuleepMan macrumors member

BuleepMan

I stopped the problem but....

It doesn't seem that this is a problem with 10.5.3 but I finally Time Machined back to 10.5.2 and all is working fine now. Guess you shouldn't fix what isn't broke.

6. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

Your Mac Pro loves you, only explanation.

Sorry, high on WWDC hype.

7. rdmease macrumors newbie

shuts down sometimes

I have the same issue and i am sure it is somehow tied to the 10.5.3 update. Except that 1 out of 3 times it will shut down normally. After more than a year this is my 1st real issue with the mac os. Still much better the my windows experience.