My Mac seems to be running slower and slower

Discussion in 'macOS' started by rassoodock, Aug 12, 2008.

1. rassoodock macrumors member

Over the past year I have noticed that my G5 is taking longer and longer to execute simple functions such as opening files. I notice it most when I re-start my computer and the shut down function times out because it takes so long for everything to quit.

I know that Apples don't suffer from the same problems as Windows. However, is it possible that I have picked up some virus, spyware or other unwanted program on my computer that is slowing everything down? I'm at a loss as to what is going on.

2. Aranince macrumors 65816

3. Amdahl macrumors 65816

4. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

5. rassoodock thread starter macrumors member

I'm running 10.4.11 on a Dual 2.5 GHz PowerPC G5.

6. rassoodock thread starter macrumors member

Maybe, I am running at 90%+ capacity. But it's also shutting down the computer that takes forever. Not sure what to think.

7. Amdahl macrumors 65816

Running over 90% will lead to trouble. Quickest solution: Buy a bigger hard disk, plug it in, then use Disk Utility to restore the old drive to the new one. I think you get a free defrag in the process, because it is not an actual raw copy of the original disk.

Then, unplug the old drive and make sure you boot up properly. Afterwards, use the old drive for whatever.

8. rassoodock thread starter macrumors member

I was just looking over my drive and found that I hadn't deleted some seriously large folders. I am now almost 10GB lighter and way below 90%. With that in mind, can I use Disk Utility to defrag this drive? Does doing a defrag on an active disk. I know what a defrag does, but have never had to do it. With that in mind, treat me like I'm an idiot when it it comes to defrags.

Thank you!

9. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Get a program called Onyx (Google it...) it has alot of maintenance features that might speed up your mac a bit, I run it every month or so just to clear out old un-used system files...

10. Amdahl macrumors 65816

iDefrag is the best way to do a non-destructive defrag. Otherwise, you will have to copy the drive somewhere else and then copy back. Disk Utility can't defragment in-place. And the built-in defrag you might hear about on OS X only defragments files less than 20MB. If your freespace or larger files are fragmented, it won't clear up on its own.

I would suggest rebooting once or twice and see if things speed up over a couple days.