My Mac Situation

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by TantalizedMind, May 7, 2009.

1. TantalizedMind macrumors 6502a

TantalizedMind

I'm using my single 1.8GHz PowerMac G5, 1GB Ram (sold my MacBook Pro) and still love the slow little thing. lol. G5/mac pro's are the best!! but I don't know if I want to spend over $2000 on a computer again.

I was tempted to stray to the HP Firebird because I wanted to play Games For Windows games for extra achievements, lol... but I really hate Windows. I have to use it at work and hate it. People come in my cube and when they try to look for the start bar they get all confused. I tell them it's on the top because I'm a Mac guy.

Don't worry guys.. I changed the start bar to silver. None of that XP blue ****.

So I want a new Mac after the expo next month. Im looking at the iMac... but I want a real video card. I don't want another laptop... and the Mac Pro has a little hefty price tag... and I don't want a refurb... haha.

Hm... let's see what the expo brings. I might just get a Mac Mini and a nice Dell Widescreen Energy Star monitor with it. I bought my parents one, two Christmas' ago. It's a silent beast... and the new ones are supposed to be over 40% more efficient than before. BAD ASS!!!

SLOT LOAD IS SEXY!

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

A Mac Mini + a gaming PC and a DVI switchbox.

3. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Not that there's anything wrong with the Mac Mini, but the video adapter in there isn't any better than what you'll find in an iMac. Don't let that particular aspect of it weigh on your decision.

4. jtgotsjets macrumors 6502

jtgotsjets

Yeah, I don't nderstand why you don't want an iMac because they don have enough power, then you're leaning toward a mac mini?

Go for the iMac

5. mgridgaway macrumors 6502

mgridgaway

Seconded. You can build a decent gaming PC for far less than you could purchase a mac with the same (or better) graphics option. Plus, you can run it in Direct X which is alone often better than OpenGL.

Always feels like kind of a waste just to use a PC for gaming, though. That's why I get by on my mac with WoW and leave all the hard work to my console.