My mac somehow changed it's name after installing bootcamp

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by MacProClub, Feb 26, 2012.

1. MacProClub macrumors newbie

Hi everybody
    I was just wondering why my mac name changed to andrew-bootcamp after installing windows 7 using bootcamp. I do remember setting the computer name for the windows side as andrew-bootcamp when first setting it up, but I don't know why my mac changed it's name to andrew-bootcamp. It used to Andrew-[my last name]. This is a school laptop so I need to be able to fix this.
    [​IMG]
    Another weird thing, which you can see in the screenshot is that my computer name is Andrew-[lastname] but the remote management says andrew-bootcamp.
    If you know how to fix this without wiping over the system that would be mush appreciated.

2. simsaladimbamba

You can change the Computer Name back to what it was, but I don't know about the Remote Management, though that name should change back to the Computer Name at least after a restart.
    If that doesn't work, you could always ask the school's network administration to help, if they set it up in the first place.

But I have never had problems with my school network just because my Computer Name was different, but that was back in 2004 and 2005.

3. MacProClub thread starter macrumors newbie

I installed bootcamp without asking, so I don't think going to my IT Support is an option.
    I might try restarting and see if that works, though I don't think it will work, cuz Iv'e tried before to save power by shutting down, but not to fix the problem.

4. MacProClub thread starter macrumors newbie

I've found that at school, the remote management is an internal ip, but at home it still says andrew-bootcamp
    I have tried rebooting, but it didn't solve the problem

5. MacProClub thread starter macrumors newbie

Don't worry, my problem fixed itself after a few restarts.