Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Oppressed

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 15, 2010
Recently this was not a problem, but I play games and have bound keystrokes to my mouse buttons. The buttons on my mouse correspond to pressing number keys on my keyboard 1, 2, 3, etc. Up until a few days ago if I held down the shift button on my key board and pressed on of these buttons it would be as though I were holding down the shift and pressing the number key. Thus I could type "!" by pressing shift and the button on my mouse correspond to 1.

Recently when I hold down shift and press that same button it just types 1. I opened virtual keyboard to see what the computer believe I was typing and it showed something interesting. By default it has my laptop's keyboard. I hold down shift and it shows it as being pressed on the screen. Now I press a button on my mouse and it replaces the laptop's keyboard layout on the virtual keyboard with a full external keyboard with numberpad. Therefore when I press and hold down the shift button on my laptop's keyboard and press a button on my mouse it will replace the keyboard and the shift button is no longer being held down on the virtual keyboard even if I am still physically pushing down on it.

Therefore my Mac thinks my external mouse is an external keyboard and won't accept the multiple inputs.

Now I'll go down the list of solutions that I have tried and have NOT fixed the problem:
- Tried the same situation with another mouse/brand.
- Uninstalled and reinstalled the external mouse drivers.
- Plug the mouse into multiple ports.
- Used time machine to revert back to a day in which this problem did not exist.
- Delete the keyboard layout prefrence file from system/library.
- Log onto another user (in this case root) and see if the problem was still there.
- Reset PRAM.
- Reset SMC.

All of these resulted in the same conclusion. Therefore I am reaching out to anyone with any idea. Below are what I'm using.

Macbook Air 11.6"
OSX 10.6.7

Mice:
Logitech G700
Logitech MX Revolution
Belkin n52
Razer Naga

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
Now that you have a mouse that is a keyboard, if you boot into windows the mouse button is the "any" key.

(sorry, couldn't resist)

Since you have an 11 in MBA, you can probably ask Apple about this even if you didn't purchase AppleCare. I understand people going to forums to avoid calling companies like Microsoft, Dell and HP, but calling Apple is nothing like the root canal you get when you call those other companies about a pee cee.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.