My Mac won't go online?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Mcaila, Aug 18, 2013.

1. Mcaila, Aug 18, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2013

Mcaila macrumors newbie

Hello,

After turning on my Macbook Pro (version 10.6.8.) today, my computer was unable to connect to the internet. I was able to go online without any problems last night, and have never encountered this issue before. All other devices in my home are able to connect to the internet except for this laptop. My laptop is showing that it has full connectivity to the internet, and I was able to access the router and successfully ping my computer, but when I try to access any webpages using Chrome or Safari it states that the webpage is not available. After running a diagnostics test through the Network window, it said that my internet is working. I have compared the network settings between my laptop and my home iMac and all settings are the same, except my laptop is showing an additional DNS server. I've been searching online for hours and have found no solution that has worked. I am not very skilled when it comes to technology and I honestly have no clue what is going on with my laptop, so any solutions would be tremendously appreciated. I also tried to connect with an ethernet cord, and that too is not working. If there is any more information you need which may help you figure out what's wrong, then please let me know. Thank you!

Edit: I tried calling my ISP (Verizon) and unfortunately they were not much help. I tried booting in safe mode, and I am able to go online; however, when I boot normally, the problem persists. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Edit 2: Got it to work! Just had to remove some files from starting at log-in.

2. AppleFreak29 macrumors newbie

DHCP Lease?

You could try to renew your DHCP lease. That sometimes is a simple fix for some machines with connectivity issues.

System Prefs -> Network -> Click advanced -> Navigate to "TCP/IP" Tab -> Click "Renew DHCP Lease".

That will renew the DHCP Lease. Hopefully that helps!