My mac won't let me download anything. Help please?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by killswitch1698, Mar 15, 2010.

1. killswitch1698 macrumors regular

MOD NOTE: This thread is a merged thread. The texts of both OPs are listed in this post to make sure nothing got left out (killswitch1698 is free to edit this post).

Hey all,

Ive recently downloaded a trail for the download accelerator DAP (Download Accelerator Plus) to speed up the download of a world of warcraft patch. Unfortunately, I had to delete this program when I realized that this was causing my computer to overheat due to pushing my computer's abilities through the roof. My computer has not been damaged in anyway, and i have "deleted" the program but when i still continue to try to download something it says that "DAP Plugin cannot find Download accelerator plus"; even thuogh i just deleted everything. so then i try to delete the plugin, but my mac says that "this item cannot be deleted when it is in use" but it really is not.

Can any of you help me to try to delete this plugin so i can start downloading again?

Many thanks,

-Devin

___

After several attempts and techniques I STILL am not able to download anything
    Hello all,

I have recently downloaded DAP to speed up downloads on my computer. Unfortunately I had to delete this program due to it causing overheating in my mac. I'm pretty sure I have deleted EVERYTHING related to the program. I have followed threads on MRoogle and the same. damn. thing. shows up on my internet browsers: "DAP Plugin cannot find Download Accelerator Plus", and then this thing labeled "DapPipe" pops up as an icon on my desktop. everytime i delete this it always pops up again when i try to download something. blah, blah, blah. I honestly think this is a unique problem. I have checked the activity monitor. I have attempted to delete via terminal. Please, help me.

If it helps here is my computer info: iMac G5
    1.9 GHz PowerPC G5
    512MB RAM

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Have you looked at Activity Monitor (select SHOW ALL PROCESSES) and seen if the process might be still running?

You can also use MRoogle to find threads about removing DAP.

3. killswitch1698 thread starter macrumors regular

Nope unfortunately nothing related to DAP was detected. I might go try MRoogle though. Thanks for your reply :D

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Download Accelerators are usually fake spywares.

Highlight what you did to uninstall it. Sounds like you didn't do right.

5. killswitch1698 thread starter macrumors regular

I used this program called "app cleaner" to get rid of it. That must be why its not getting removed the right way.

Its there any possibility that I can remove the plugin by force? by going through terminal or something? idk. Because it clearly isnt being used since i checked the activity monitor like 5 times.

6. Gregg2 macrumors 603

No, that's why you use App Cleaner.

If you know which plugin needs to go, find it and drag it to the Trash.

7. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Did it come with an uninstaller?
    Have you used applications like AppCleaner?

8. killswitch1698 thread starter macrumors regular

Yes I have used AppCleaner to rid of it.

9. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

What about my comment?

10. killswitch1698 thread starter macrumors regular

They did not work. :/

11. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Perhaps install DAP and then try uninstalling again? I assume you repaired disk permissions, so you might have to reinstall the OS.

12. killswitch1698 thread starter macrumors regular

Repaired disk permissions?? Sounds horrible O_O What do you mean??? Am I going to have to reinstall the basis of what makes my mac run????

13. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Repairing disk permissions is nothing terrible, it can be done via Disk Utility.

Here is some official information from Apple
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1452

found via that little sister
    http://www.google.com/search?client...oe=UTF-8&redir_esc=&ei=dtqnS7jcEp2hsQaXo5jsDA

If everything else fails, meaning all the advice you have been given here, which you may or may not have executed yet, a re-install might help.

With Mac OS X that is not something to worry about, as it does not mean the loss of your data, even though a backup of your personal files is always recommended.

Leopard re-instllation guide via sister

Snow Leopard via little