my Mac won't let me install a driver. What do I do?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bodekorte, Feb 10, 2010.

1. bodekorte macrumors newbie

My install button on the installer is faded to grey and i cant click or anything. I've never had a problem like this before so i have no clue what to do. Any ideas?:confused:

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

That happens.

What software are you talking about, what Mac OS X version are you running and can you select your Macintosh HD in the installation options?

3. bodekorte thread starter macrumors newbie

its a driver for a usb-midi interface i bought im running os x 10.5.8 and i can select the macintosh HD but i makes me do a custom install and the other options in the custom install are faded as well

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

What USB Midi interface exactly, and have you made sure the interface is compatible with your Mac and Mac OS X version?

Have you looked at the official webpage for the product to find support in form of a FAQ or forum or direct contact?

5. bodekorte thread starter macrumors newbie

its a yamaha ux 16 and i brought it into the store where i bought it and the guy hooked it up to his macbook and it worked fine. yesterday i finally got a red light on it but now im not getting anything and im trying to reinstall the driver and it almost acts like it didnt download after i just downloaded it

6. duckling1 macrumors newbie

Strangely, I just ran into precisely the same problem, just trying to set up my Yamaha UX16. I have OSX 10.5.8 as well. When I try to install the Yamaha USB Driver (I tried both the most recent version um121mx and the one prior um120mx), it tells me I have been successful! But then when I look where the manual tells me to, to find the installed driver (Library-->Audio-->MIDI Drivers), the folder is empty.

Actually, I used to have OSX 10.5.6, but then my old hard drive crashed and the Apple Store gave me a little update. And the UX16 worked fine on the old drive.

It's really annoying. If anybody has any ideas, I too could use some guidance.