My Mac won't open certain websites

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by automatic, Oct 2, 2007.

1. automatic macrumors newbie

Since a week or so my 2.2ghz MBP won't open certain websites regardless of what browser I use, I have tried Firefox, Safari and Opera without any luck. The thing is that all these pages work just fine on my old dell (on both IE and firefox) that uses the same wifi connection, so the connection is not the problem here it seems.

The thing is that most websites work just fine, just a select few that have worked fine for months now suddenly have stopped loading and firefox saying it can't establish a connection with the server in question.

Any ideas why this could be? Is it down to firewall settings? Browser settings or something else? All help very much appreciated,

Thanks,

P.s. one of the pages I cannot load is www.hsbc.com.hk

Edit: I should probably add that I have tried with clearing out cache, cookies and browsing history without any effect.

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

The site you provided works for me in Firefox and Safari without any issues. Off-hand I'm not sure why you're having problems. It's still early in the morning so I'll give it some thought.

3. richkent72 macrumors regular

I had a similar problem about a week ago where I suddenly couldn't access .mac galleries using Firefox or Safari. I tracked down the problem to my router and a reboot of the router resolved the issue.

I also had a similar problem under Windows with a particular site which appeared to be caused by my ISP so it could be worth giving them a call if you don't find any other solution.

4. automatic thread starter macrumors newbie

.com.hk

Thanks for the replies,

Problem still persists, have tried to restart my airport, my dsl modem, etc. etc.

Looks like all the pages I have problems with are based in Hong Kong, i.e. ending with com.hk

Still my old Dell works just fine with all the same websites on the same internet connection.So the problems seems to be inside all that beautiful aluminium of my MBP, Very annoying.

5. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

I actually do remember having an issue similar to that. I was having trouble accessing Yahoo pages, but I unplugged my router for a little bit and plugged it back in and it started working. Was weird because other pages were fine and my Windows machine didn't have issues. Not sure what the details of the problem were, but it got resolved after the reboot of the router.

6. mania macrumors member

could be your macs DNS server settings? try setting to automatic or if you are feeling ambitious you can install a caching name server on your mac. I did this cause I was not satisfied with the qwest DNS lookup speeds.

7. blodwyn macrumors 65816

Or go to OpenDNS and follow their directions for adding 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220 to your DNS server list

8. jhgd143 macrumors newbie

I have been having a similar problem, but I'm pretty sure it has to be DSL or router related. I have 3 macs at my studio, that are going through a router and into a DSL (Verizon) modem. Certain sites, notably, the new My Yahoo, Fedex (connects, but won't pull up any stored information) and Getty Images (connects, but won't do any searches) just don't work correctly. If I take my laptop home & try to do the same sites through my home wireless system, which also uses Verison DSL, I have no problems at all. This has been going on for about a week.

9. Durrtyninja macrumors newbie

peerguardian

get rid of peerguardian, i uninstalled it and everything works fine now!

10. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Hey! Thanks for that solution! Three and a half years is a long time to have to deal with a computer problem. :rolleyes: