My Mac won't sleep

Discussion in 'macOS' started by SDAVE, Aug 1, 2007.

1. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

I have a 8 Core mac pro and it won't go to sleep. I have non OSX compliant PCIe cards in there (for Windows) do you guys think that's the reason???

2. jabrowntx macrumors 6502

I'm having similar issues with my 2.66 Quad Core box. I may have found a culprit (Last.FM client), but I need more testing to determine for sure.

3. SDAVE thread starter macrumors 68040

SDAVE

What it does on mine is it kind of shuts down, then I hear the ATI fan, then comes back to OSX? Do you get the same?

What does Last.FM mean?

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

That's not normal. Take the card out to test it.

5. jabrowntx macrumors 6502

http://www.last.fm - is a social music site that has software that "watches" your iTunes and lists your played songs on a web page.

6. Lesser Evets macrumors 68040

Lesser Evets

I have noticed my Mac won't sleep if I am running VLC. You might want to check what programs you have operating and see how sleep works with those programs.

7. SDAVE thread starter macrumors 68040

SDAVE

I took it out and it seems to be culprit.

In the manual for this Windows based card, it does state that the device does not support "sleep mode". That's understandable, but under OSX it is not even recognized, so why is OSX being limited by the cards function?

Any clues guys? I think I'm the only one that uses a Windows only card in his Mac hehe

Just checked, and not much is running besides the usual default applications. It slept without the card in the system...actually it's a set of 2 PCIe cards, so....

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Mate, you seem to have found the culprit, good work. I don't think it's all that unreasonable to expect a non-OSX compliant card to not work with OSX though...

9. Grape macrumors newbie

10. SDAVE thread starter macrumors 68040

SDAVE

What I meant by that was since OSX does not recognize it, why won't it sleep when I go to sleep from OSX?

I don't expect these cards to work under OSX, just sleep at least....but it seems to be a hardware issue that's preventing the computer from going to sleep.