my mac wont turn on, just shows a gray screen

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by cam00007678, Jul 14, 2009.

1. cam00007678 macrumors newbie

a few hours ago my mac froze up so i reset it but when i turned it back on it was just gray with a folder icon with a question mark in the middle blinking. i then turned it off and left it alone for a few hours and when i went to turn it on again the screen is just gray with the apple icon and the loading icon under it, which is what always comes up when i first turn it on but it wont change, its been the same for like a half hour now.

any suggestions?

2. upinflames900 macrumors 6502a

upinflames900

Not a good sign, your computer cannot find the OS to boot into. Take it to genius bar asap. Hopefully you have data backed up.

3. cam00007678 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Boot from your system restore discs. Insert the disc and hold C on startup.

5. cam00007678 thread starter macrumors newbie

i had a disc in the drive earlier but now it wont eject so i cant put another one in there

6. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-cam00007678

Reboot, then hold the left-click mouse button down when you hear the 'Bong' noise, and wait. The disk will eject.

7. cam00007678 thread starter macrumors newbie

awesome that worked, all i have to do is find those system restore discs then ill be all set.

could anyone tell me what caused this so i can prevenet it next time?

8. lee.anderson macrumors regular

lee.anderson

The folder icon with a question mark in it usually means 2 things:

1. Your hard-drive has died

2. You've corrupted some essential files (could you have deleted or changed a file, renamed something?)

Hopefully its the latter, because using the restore disks should fix that up, if its the first one, your gonna have to buy a new drive...

9. cam00007678 thread starter macrumors newbie

what would have caused the hard drive to die?

and do the discs come with the computer (the system restore discs)? because i cant seem to find them

10. lee.anderson macrumors regular

lee.anderson

Did you by any chance hear any clicking coming from your computer these last couple days? That would be a sign of the hard drive failing. A lot of things can cause a hard drive to fail. It could be excessive heat, or it could just be a bad hard drive.

The disk do come with the computer, normally in a little grey square box.

It happened to me last christmas, lost a lot of really important files and pictures. I learnt my lesson and have backed up ever since.

11. cam00007678 thread starter macrumors newbie

no i didnt hear any clicking.

the wierd thing is that i was on vacation for the past 8 days and when i got home yesterday it happened then, no previous problems with it before yesterday

12. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-cam00007678

Any drive can fail at any time, and all will fail.

Remember, these are some of the most precise devices ever made by man, involves the four high sciences of electronics, metallurgy, physics and chemistry, and they are mass produced by the billions.

It's a miracle they work as well as they do.

13. lee.anderson macrumors regular

lee.anderson

I 100% agree with this post. Hard Drives (and all other hardware) has a life cycle, and in the end will fail. Unfortunately, most of us will learn this lesson the hard way (Like me:() and lose a lot of important data.

If the OP's hard drive has failed, you'll need to buy a new HDD, and make sure you remember to back up whenever possible.

14. cam00007678 thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah i understand, i just gotta find those discs then i should be all set

15. cam00007678 thread starter macrumors newbie

umm i cant find my system restore disc anywhere, is there any way i can get another one?

i also read that the disc doesnt come with a OS X which is what i have

16. lee.anderson macrumors regular

lee.anderson

Where did you get the computer from? And which OS X are you using?

There should be a disk which should say something like "Mac OS 10.5" or similar. It doesn't say system restore disk or anything like that, its just a disk with OS X on it, its what you would have used to install OS X on your computer.

If you can't find the disks, you either need to buy OS X again from the shop (which would be a huge waste of money considering you have already got it on your computer) or, even though its illegal, download the same revision of OS X you got off the internet just so you can restore your computer. As I said, its illegal, but those are the only options I can think of. Can't you just take your mac to an apple store and set up an appointment with the genius bar? It would be much easier

17. cam00007678 thread starter macrumors newbie