My MacBook 2.4GHz reads burned discs REALLY slowly

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by pandaen, May 12, 2008.

1. pandaen macrumors member

I've noticed that when i burn a disc on my pc, and put it in my MacBook, it will take multiple minutes before the discs starts reading and shows up on my desktop. If i put my ear down to the superdrive, i hear that it is doing something as i put the disc in, but it does not start reading really for minutes.

Is there anything i can do about this?
    I've tested a normal DVD movie, and it read it instantly.

2. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Sounds like the burner in your PC may be a tad out of alignment. If so, a replacement drive is the only solution.

3. mosx macrumors 65816

The drive may be bad, but it could be the discs too. What brand are you using? If you're using a store brand or Memorex then you have CMC Magnetic discs. Those are the worst of the worst. Brands that used to use high quality manufacturers, like Verbatim and TDK, now have multiple manufacturers including CMC Magnetics. Try some high quality discs like made in Japan Sony or Fujifilm or Taiyo Yuden.

If you're within your 14 day return window, do EVERYTHING you can to get an exchange rather than a repair. You do NOT want to deal with sending it in for repair to Flextronics. Your brand new system will come back looking like its 10 years old and has been through endless abuse every day. They probably won't even fix the problem either. My first MacBook had a bad optical drive and I sent it in for repair. Not only did they beat the crap out of my system but they made the optical drive worse!