My MacBook Air is dead, endless "You need to restart your computer. Hold down the..."

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Nakkoush, Jul 7, 2008.

1. Nakkoush macrumors newbie

"You need to restart your computer. Hold down the power button for several seconds or press the Restart button."

I get this message everytime I turn on my MacBook Air and cannot get past it.

1- I tried restting PRAM, NVRAM and did not help.
    2- Since my MacBook Air doesn't come with a CD/DVD drive I tried remotely Using the Disk Utility to repair the MacBook Air hard disk by following this link: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1492 .Unfortunately after my Macbook Air begins to start up from my Mac OS X Install Disc 1, I am getting as well the same error message after a couple of minutes.
    3- I tried to start up in verbose mode, my system hangs after some time but I can read the folowing which may be of help for the experts here to rectify my problem:
    disk0s2: memory allocation error.
    panic (cpu 0 caller 0x0001694c6): "vm_map_unwire: entry is unwired"@/sourceCache/xnu/xnu-1228.5.18/osfmk/vm/vm_map.c:4110
    Debugger called: <panic>
    Backtrace, format - Frame : Return Address (4 potential args on stack)

Any help is highly appreicated

Regards,
    Nk

2. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

Please be a bit more specific in providing details as to what version of OS 10.5 are you running and what did you do just before this happened?

Also... What were your startup items and do you use Time Machine? If so when was the last back up... (in relation to the time the problem started). Was the backup successful?

Do you use VMware or Parallels...

3. Nakkoush thread starter macrumors newbie

- As for the operating system, it is the one which came with my MacBook Air: Mac OS X 10.5
    - I did not yet have the time to setup my Time capsule unit since my poor machine died too early.
    - I have not done any backup yet, my machine is not up to 3 weeks running.
    - I do use VMware and I have windows XP installed on it.

Before my MBA died, I was using Windows XP on my VM, suddenly my bluetooth mouse stopped working, I couldn't make it to work, I tried reconnecing it with no luck, I didn't want to restart my system because I was in the process of writing an Email then I swithced off my bluetooth mouse and plugged my USB optical mouse and it didn't work neither and at the end I was forced to restart my system. and since then I couldn't start my machine any more. :confused::mad:

BTW, I run the normal build in Hardware test and no problems were found. now I am performing the extended testing which is saying that it will take up to 2 hours..

4. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

This is a very popular (ok not so very popular) error which torments the people using VMware. The cause s really really random and is quite high in MBAs!
    The error is caused due to corrupted memory leaks due to certain drivers, corrupt startup items, VMware bad installations or corrupt FS drivers! The irrepairable memory leaks cause the recurrent Kernel panics.
    In some cases, One may enter the safe mode to delete certain files from the boot sector from System Files folder and use the repair disk and repair permissions options from Install disks Disk Utility. This also has a success rate of 75% only!

I strongly recommend you to FORMAT your system as of now (since its new and you wont lose much data)
    Option 1
    Then you may reinstall Mac OS and immediately use BootCamp to partition!
    Then install VMware and use the BC partition as the VM image!
    Option 2
    Do some Experiment and find out whats causing the Kernel panics!
    Option 3 [HIGHLY RECOMMENDED]
    Get hold of a Superdrive! Do NOT use wi-fi! (100% sure shot way to install any Win type through either BC/VM/Parallels!
    If you use BC - try to use NTFS!

5. Nakkoush thread starter macrumors newbie

I only managed to boot my MBA in Safe boot mode by holding cmd+s, when it finishes booting I am receiving the following message:
    "This computer was restarted after mac os x quit unexpectedly"

I immediately Repaired permissions and checked disk which unfortunately did not help. I still cannot boot in normal mode, only safe more is working.

Back to my VMware fusion and windows XP, now it is not possible to start windows XP Pro. I am receiving a syntax error on line 8 of my Windows XP Professional.vmx, I tried to open the file in text edit, I can see that my VMware configuration vmx file is totally corrupted.

I did also notice that my MBA files has increased dramatically.. I am now only having 3.5GB available free space where I had more than 30GB.

I am trully frustrated and disapointed from the overall performance of my MBA.

6. Nakkoush thread starter macrumors newbie

How can I reinstall MAC OS X on my sick MBA if the above described error keeps on popping up after a couple of minutes when reaching step 9 in the folowing tutorial: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2129.

I did started in safe mode before, recovered what I could recover and run the disk utility, repaired all permissions, checked the disk.. and the errors is always there.

NB: I deleted my Windows XP Virtual machine and uninstalled VMware fusion.

7. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

So you are telling me that you CANNOT boot from your install disk right?

I need to know if you can manage any of the following three things:
    1. A Mac and an external HDD (USB or FW)
    2. SUPERDRIVE
    3. Apple Retail Store (With Genius Bar)

If you have option 1, we'll install your copy of OS X on the HDD and boot from it to clean up your MBA
    If you have option 2, you should be able to boot right in your MBA no questions asked
    If you have option 3, you should take your MBA their and see to it that they perform clean format right THEN & THERE!

P.S.: These only apply if you CANNOT boot from WiFi!!!!

8. Nakkoush thread starter macrumors newbie

A- Correct, I cannot boot from WiFi because the same above error apprears after 1-2 minutes when clicking "Remote Install Mac OS X", that is after choosing my WiFi network on my MBA.
    B- I can manage #1 which is a MAC and a USBexternal HDD.

My experience with installing MAC OS X is almost zero. I will see if i can manage something for step 1.
    Any help is highly appreciated

9. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

Its quite simple. Better if you format the HDD with HFS+ before installing the os.
    Boot from the install disk in the mac and simply choose the external hdd rather than the internal one! Install (Press the skip button on 'Checking/Verifying Disk' window to save time)

I woke up at 2 just to help you out with this crap stuff!:)

10. Nakkoush thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you mate for your endless help! I will follow exactly what you told me and reply here as soon as I finish.

Once again, your help is highly appreciated.

Regards

11. Nakkoush thread starter macrumors newbie

The second MAC I am using is PowerBook G4 and when I try to boot from the install disk it is tell me that This operating system is not supported by this machine, something like that I don't remember exactly..

I tried after to follow this link: http://www.bradbergeron.com/2006/11/howto-install-and-boot-os-x-on-a-flash-drive/ to install my operating system on my USB HDD, and again no luck. it is hanging after it tries to boot, but at least no error message.

12. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

OK. Seems like luck isnt with us on this! But no matter!

Let me explain to you what we are trying to achieve here! Our main aim is to eliminate the use of wifi for installing os x in your MBA! Thats why we are using an external drive (hope you are using Hard disk) since we can easily boot through the usb HDD and since the OS will run from the ext HDD, we can use disk utility to format your MBA!

Now, it seems that Apple has locked your edition of OS X (since it comes with the remote install/disc software) to run only on a MBA!

If you dont have access to |EDITED|any intel Macs|EDITED| we'll have to download Ubuntu linux live CD (about 800 MB).

13. Nakkoush thread starter macrumors newbie

I am using an external USB HDD.

I fully understand your concept now and I will see if I can get any other OS X install disc.

14. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Regardless of the install disk, you cannot perform an install via a PowerBook that will run on a MacBook Air. The version of the operating system installed will be PPC-compatible only (even though many of the programs installed are Universal), and thus will not boot the MBA. You need another Intel-powered machine to be able to achieve what you're trying to achieve.

jW

15. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

I dont understand where the question of Intel or PPC came in ?!?!?! We only want to format the MBA internal drive! For that, as long as you have an install disk (which dont come in PPC or Intel flavours) it should work!

Why I've done it my self!...

Once the MBA is formatted, WiFi install will work again flawlessly and we can perform a clean install of the 'special' Mac OS 10.5 that came with he MBA!

16. ihabime macrumors 6502

It won't work because he is installing the OS to the external USB drive from a powerbook G4, that will install the PPC version only, which won't boot on the MBA.

OP, it sounds like it may be a hardware problem, you should either call Apple or take it in to an Apple store and have it checked out.

17. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

Whoops. My bad!
    Seems like Nakkoush you'll have to find an Intel Mac or make do with Ubuntu.
    But its 95% not a hardware problem as I myself have an experience with this (not my mac though luckily!)

18. Nakkoush thread starter macrumors newbie

I will try all possible sollutions before contacting Apple.

Apple Ink, there is no way to install any operating system from my PowerMAC G4 to a USB HDD and now I am going to download Ubuntu.

Can you please provide me with Ubuntu download link?

Thanks in advance.

19. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

I guess this is not obvious?

if it's under warranty, have someone who is trained and paid to fix problems do it.

Google: Apple Care

20. ihabime macrumors 6502

If it's not hardware related then how can you explain remote install failing repeatedly? Even if the OP were to DL ubuntu what are you going to have him do, if remote install fails with OSX, why do you think it will work for ubuntu? You won't be able to install intel ubuntu on the external USB from a PPC powerbook either.

OP, the only way i can think of to use your external USB to install the original OS that came with your MBA, is to rip a DMG of the install disk and make a bootable partition of it on the USB drive. If you really want to go that route you can find some info here, make sure you read all the replies and follow the links, but it still seems like it would be a lot easier to take it to Apple and make sure it's not a hardware problem.

21. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download

You would want the Desktop edition and the x86 version!
    Though even x64 will do but with the MBA processor and less support for x64, stick to x86!

22. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

I agree. If your machine is only three weeks old, you shouldn't be wasting your time trying to make it work at this level.

Take it to an Apple store and let them try a Superdrive for boot and reformat. Not being OSX proficient can lead to frustration especially on the Air when trying to do what you are.

23. Nakkoush thread starter macrumors newbie

I got my MBA from http://www.pcconnection.com in the States and it is definitely still under warranty. The issue is this: I am now in Africa for a period of time not less than 2 months before I can go back. I don't trust any of the Apple stores where I am now (if they exist). I prefer to pull out what have remained from my hairs and take it as a lesson for next time.

PS: when booted in safe mode, I managed to uninstall Norton Antivirus 10 and surprisingly I manage after to boot normaly without the famous error! it appeared one time after I finished booting completely, I rebooted after and it stopped popping up, But when I tried remotely installing the operating system again using the airport the bloody error appeared on my MBA and stopped the installation.

Botton lines: It is a must to re-install MAC OS X on my MBA since it is no more stable.

24. ihabime macrumors 6502

I would say that your best chances then are to make a bootable copy of the MBA install disk on your external USB. The instructions are all in the link I posted earlier, it's pretty simple. From there you can boot and run the installer or disk utility just like it was the normal install DVD.

25. Nakkoush thread starter macrumors newbie

I am going to try all possible solutions:

I followed your link, and I am now able to boot from the USB HDD and to reach the disk utility.

What exactly I am supposed to do now? is it to completely erase the my Whole MBA HDD using "35 - Pass Erase"?