Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alan111

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 17, 2010
I got a new MacBook air 13 inch, and for some reason it has become ready only. I can use it normally, save files, install programs and such. But when I reboot, it reverts back to an old configuration without any of the documents I saved or any of the apps I installed.

I haven't messed around with Disk Utility or changed any settings. I tried repairing permissions, and that did not help. Any other suggestions?

Hydramus

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2007
One thing to check is the ownership of your home directory, you may have inadvertently changed the permissions in the accounts tab.

in Terminal:

Code:
cd /Users
sudo chown -R [username]: [username]

Replace [username] with the name of your home account, and then enter your password. That should make sure you own your home account which should sort out any problems.

Mosco

macrumors regular
May 26, 2002
I feel like I have heard something like this happening due to a bugs in SSD controller, but I can't remember which SSD controller (I have heard about this on PCs, but not Macs)

jenzjen

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2010
If you just got it why not just reinstall the OS, that takes about 2 hours and am guessing you will probably spend more time trying to troubleshoot it otherwise.

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
If you just got it why not just reinstall the OS, that takes about 2 hours and am guessing you will probably spend more time trying to troubleshoot it otherwise.

It only takes around 20 minutes to install from the Air's OS X USB drive.

I think this is the best way to test whether you've got a hardware or software issue.

alan111

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 17, 2010
I lost my patients and ended up just reinstalling the OS. All is good now.
Thanks for your support.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.