my MacBook Air is visiting every country..

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by jackosx, Jul 5, 2012.

1. jackosx macrumors member

Can anyone shed some light on why my MacBook Air is taking a scenic route to my home in the UK? I ordered a BTO MacBook Air with 256gb/8gb/2ghz 11" model, but why isn't it on a direct flight??

[​IMG]

2. Barna Biro macrumors 6502a

Barna Biro

Because that's not how goods are transported... It's a long a complicated process that differs from company to company. Is it still on time? Did it exceed the estimated delivery date? If it's still on time, then simply don't worry about it... Do something more meaningful with your free time instead. ;)

3. jackosx thread starter macrumors member

Well like many, I am checking the tracking process, I was just curious as to why it wasn't a more direct route.

4. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

don't worry it's a completely legit question, I would quite like to know too.

5. kylera macrumors 65816

kylera

My guess, as I don't have any background in logistics, may be that there was a shipment due in Korea, so basically a whole bunch are clumped together along the most optimal route, and dropped off.

Though..why it would go from East Asia, then to Europe, and THEN to Central Asia...I cannot compute.

6. JootecFromMars macrumors member

Same route mine took - China, South Korea, Kasakhstan, Germany, UK.

Looks like its currently on its way to Germany right now.

7. dyn macrumors 68030

Not every part you see there is the place where the package is going. Parts of the process are purely administrative, it's just the paperwork that is going there (by e-mail of course!). The package itself will go in a direct flight to the UK.

8. spank13 macrumors newbie

I currently work in logistics in the US Military and think I can help answer this. In the military we have what's called "channel missions". These aircraft fly the same route every week and are blocked out months in advance to fly these routes.

When we need to get something from point A to point B, we look at what channel missions we already have flying to determine what's the best route to get it there. If our channel from point A goes to point C,D,E, and F, then point F has a channel flying to point B, that is how we will route it because it doesn't generate another aircraft since we would fly these missions regardless. We derive a lot of our techniques and strategies from commercial carriers like FedEx and UPS, so that would be my guess on the routing.

I know that's kind of a long-winded answer but that will give you a look into the logistics world.

9. jackosx thread starter macrumors member

I thought it could be something like that, thanks for taking the time to answer! :)

10. will waters macrumors regular

Sorry, but i am in the same situation, however cannot work out how to track the order? HAs your been shipped with Syncreon Technology? If so which codes do you need to track it??

Thanks Will

11. rovex macrumors 65816

Other than the fact that his is going from Germany to Kazakhstan and presumambly back to Germany or UK! :confused:

12. MacBird macrumors 6502

That is the part that I find puzzling, too. It sounds as if this laptop has been traveling more miles than many people will ever do. :)

13. Puevlo macrumors 6502a

It's a scam. Why do you think Apple charges so much for shipping? Because they make your Mac fly halfway around the world and back.

14. jackosx thread starter macrumors member

Seems to have had a little dabble in Poland, probably visited a few concentration camps and other sight seeing points..

[​IMG]

----------

Mine has been shipped with UPS, I track it on their website..