My Macbook Air vs Macintosh HD?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by semicolon, Aug 14, 2012.

1. semicolon macrumors newbie

Okay guys, I have owned a Macbook for like an hour, so work with me.

If I'm trying to save a file to my computer, for example an image file, where do I save it to?

Macintosh HD? That is my SSD, right? Then what is "Lisa's Macbook Air" (I'm Lisa, and that's the "name" of the computer). What am I doing by saving files there??

And in which one are my photos, documents, etc??

Also, if I want to forward an email with an attachment, will that file stay attached when I click forward? I tried to do that, but I don't see where the attached files are.

Thank you so much!

2. simsaladimbamba

Wherever you want, your Desktop or the Pictures folder or a folder you create.

Your SSD is having one partition, and only one, which is called Macintosh HD. Macintosh HD has all the folders on it for running your system (Applications, Library, System, Users).
    Your user folder (the folder for your user account) is stored inside the Users folder (Macintosh HD / Users / semicolon).

"Lisa's MacBook Air" is your computer and shows you all connected storage devices (or readable media like DVDs), for example an external USB HDD or USB flash memory thumb drive. You don't store files there. It is just an overview.

You user folder (Macintosh HD / Users / semicolon / or in Finder press CMD+SHIFT+H or click the icon with your short user name (the one with the house)) contains several folders you can use (but you don't have to), like Documents, Desktop (what you see, when no window is open), Downloads (where browsers download files by default to), Movies, Music (iTunes library is stored there) and Pictures (iPhoto stores its library there).

That I don't know, as I don't use Mail, but you could test it with a test email to another email address of yours or an email address of a friend.

To learn more about Mac OS X: Helpful Information for Any Mac User by GGJstudios

3. semicolon thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you!

And I tested it, it does automatically attach :D

4. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

5. semicolon thread starter macrumors newbie