My macbook and should I be worried?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by MacBH928, Jan 11, 2010.

1. MacBH928 macrumors 68020

May 17, 2008
    I hated laptops all my life,
    they are expensive and very delicate, die quickly, run hot, with lower specs from a desktop, and it is less capable not to mention fixing them is expensive too.

Over the years more and more people headed towards the laptop choice, everyone is using them. I see people keeping them on 24/7 , there are ads for pro laptops with huge screens and pro apps like Final Cut and Photoshop.
    So I thought to myself, probably finally laptops are near in quality to desktops.

Like 8 months ago I bought myself a macbook 2.0 unibody, its all that great and solid. I started to notice the heat is increasing to 167F/75C watching youtube videos, so I thought this is the mac-flash problem(its irritating since a lot of the web is in flash, games, videos, and more).

Yesterday I was browsing the net, and suddenly noticed the laptop getting hotter and the fans are kicking in, but am not doing anything major to raise its heat. I switched on Activity monitor, and here is what I see:
    FireFox CPU 49
    I believe that means its using 49% of the cpu?

What was on Firefox? it was minimized window of a flash video 12 min long , it was paused and it was like this for some time.

I am using safari with 5 tabs on, 2 of them got youtube videos, one of 3 min and the other is in 4 min. Its using only 10 CPU only.

I am not laptop expert. Is this to be expected?

I am planning to run parallels, games, video editing, emulation , and photoshop using this laptop.
    What will happen to it then if a simple flash video is taking 50% of the cpu power? How hot will it run?

I mean is this normal for a laptop? Should I just not worry and use it as much as I would like? Sometimes the heat turns up to 176F/80C .
    When Should I start to be worried?

finally I want to know how long should my laptop life be? I am used to desktops and I know they can live up to 5 years , my imac 2002 lived 7 years!!! it was solid and great.

Please advice me because I am not all that experienced around laptops.
  2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

Sep 7, 2006
    In the velcro closure of America's Hat
    You should not be worried until the temp tops 90C. 49% is 49% of one core so its actually 25% of all CPU resources.
  3. Bennieboy© macrumors 65816

Jan 15, 2009
    you could try this to get the fans working a little harder and sooner
    SMC fan control ;)
  4. silversreen macrumors newbie

Jan 11, 2010
  5. MacBH928 thread starter macrumors 68020

May 17, 2008
    I don't know I don't like to tinker with the system's default settings, its some how ruins the whole operating system over time.

I know macs and flash don't mix,
    but what about running games and pro apps like Adobe Suite , parallels and more?

Is flash exhausting to desktops too?
  6. MasterDev macrumors 65816

Sep 14, 2009
    It's never a good idea to touch fan control. Leave them as they are.