My macbook and should I be worried?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by MacBH928, Jan 11, 2010.

1. MacBH928 macrumors 68020

MacBH928

I hated laptops all my life,
    they are expensive and very delicate, die quickly, run hot, with lower specs from a desktop, and it is less capable not to mention fixing them is expensive too.

Over the years more and more people headed towards the laptop choice, everyone is using them. I see people keeping them on 24/7 , there are ads for pro laptops with huge screens and pro apps like Final Cut and Photoshop.
    So I thought to myself, probably finally laptops are near in quality to desktops.

Like 8 months ago I bought myself a macbook 2.0 unibody, its all that great and solid. I started to notice the heat is increasing to 167F/75C watching youtube videos, so I thought this is the mac-flash problem(its irritating since a lot of the web is in flash, games, videos, and more).

Yesterday I was browsing the net, and suddenly noticed the laptop getting hotter and the fans are kicking in, but am not doing anything major to raise its heat. I switched on Activity monitor, and here is what I see:
    FireFox CPU 49
    I believe that means its using 49% of the cpu?

What was on Firefox? it was minimized window of a flash video 12 min long , it was paused and it was like this for some time.

I am using safari with 5 tabs on, 2 of them got youtube videos, one of 3 min and the other is in 4 min. Its using only 10 CPU only.

I am not laptop expert. Is this to be expected?

I am planning to run parallels, games, video editing, emulation , and photoshop using this laptop.
    What will happen to it then if a simple flash video is taking 50% of the cpu power? How hot will it run?

I mean is this normal for a laptop? Should I just not worry and use it as much as I would like? Sometimes the heat turns up to 176F/80C .
    When Should I start to be worried?

finally I want to know how long should my laptop life be? I am used to desktops and I know they can live up to 5 years , my imac 2002 lived 7 years!!! it was solid and great.

Please advice me because I am not all that experienced around laptops.

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

You should not be worried until the temp tops 90C. 49% is 49% of one core so its actually 25% of all CPU resources.

3. Bennieboy© macrumors 65816

Bennieboy©

you could try this to get the fans working a little harder and sooner
    SMC fan control ;)

4. silversreen macrumors newbie

5. MacBH928 thread starter macrumors 68020

MacBH928

I don't know I don't like to tinker with the system's default settings, its some how ruins the whole operating system over time.

I know macs and flash don't mix,
    but what about running games and pro apps like Adobe Suite , parallels and more?

Is flash exhausting to desktops too?

6. MasterDev macrumors 65816

It's never a good idea to touch fan control. Leave them as they are.