My MacBook can't read DVDs I just burned!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by 66217, Jun 4, 2008.

1. 66217 Guest

I'm having problems with my MacBook, at first I thought it was a faulty drive, and Apple accepted to change it for a new one under AppleCare.

But I am still under the same problem. I can read any original DVD or CD I introduce (movies, music CDs, etc.), I can also burn a movie with iDVD when I introduce a blank DVD. But after I finish burning, if I introduce the DVD again it won't read it. Funny thing is that someone gave me a burned DVD and I was able to read it.

What could be causing this? I swear that this started after Leopard, so I am really starting to think this is software related.

BTW, the DVDs I am using are Sony DVD +RW.

2. sharky05 macrumors regular

have you tried any different brands of dvd +RWs? What about DVD+Rs? do they work?

3. chscag macrumors 65816

Toss the DVD+RW disks and don't even bother with them. I haven't found a brand yet that was reliable. As inexpensive as DVD+R media is, use them instead and your problem will most likely go away. Besides, erasing a DVD+RW takes a considerable amount of time. It just isn't worth the time and effort to even fool with them.

Regards.

4. 66217 thread starter Guest

I have tried with at least three brands. Verbatim DVD-RW, Memorex DVD-RW and Sony DVD+RW.

I'll try with a normal DVD-R and see what happens.

shchag, what happens is that I'll be in need to be re-burning about once daily. And was really hoping to be able to prevent the usage of so many DVDs.

Anyone else having this problem?

5. khunsanook macrumors 6502

khunsanook

I consistenly have this problem. DVDs burn and verify OK, but then rarely ever read again with the superdrive...guess it's time for a 3rd superdrive - wish Apple would toss the slot loader MatSHITas - frustrating.

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Just to toss it out there, if you burned like a PlayStation or Xbox game you can burn, but can't read it. ;)

7. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

DVD-RWs are not reliable. And the super drives save space, how do you think that the MBP is 1 inch thick? If I took a pop-out tray dvd burner, the MBP would be thicker. Same goes for MB. I never had any trouble with the iBook combo drive or my MB's super drive.