Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

durkbox

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2006
London UK
Hi,

Powered down my MacBook after work last night, got it home and now it does not boot up. Checked the battery by plugging in the magsafe. Green light came on, then disappeared as if power supply was knackered.
I have also tried all the Mac support advice in the "my macbook won't start up" section. No help there.
Anybody else out there sharing my pain? :(

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
Ouch. That's gotta hurt. Maybe the power supply has had it and the battery's empty. You're in London so take it over to the Apple Store if you're near to it and let them look at it.

durkbox

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2006
London UK
I am in contact with my kit supplier and they say they are sorting things out for me. The battery was at full charge when I shut down. And its still reading as fully charged right now on the underside LED display. Oh well, at least it's not hissing/squeeling any more... Suppose I am to the back of the queue for a replacment unit now...

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
durkbox said:
Anybody else out there sharing my pain? :(

Lots by the sounds of it. :eek:

I don't think even the TiBook had the same number of issues when it launched :eek:

How long have you had it? will you get a replacement or will it end up having to go in for repair?

Apple really need to tighten their quality up. It's f**king dreadful... it really is. :rolleyes:

Malcster

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2005
Bristol, UK
Feel for you mate, my 1.83 MBP is just about to go back to fix the LCD buzzing issue, sure gonna miss the little fella :( lets hope he's a little less vocal when he returns! :rolleyes:

matperk

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2004
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
I don't think we hear enough from the people that don't have problems.

I love mine. It's the best computer I've ever owned.

I has a whine, but I don't mind it at all. I never even notice it.

durkbox

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2006
London UK
Malcster said:
I feel exactly the same about mine.

You may well feel the same, I have had mine for about 3-4 weeks. The hiss was never really a problem for me. But could 'The Hiss' not have caused the problem that I have now? Have apple made an official statement about this? If so, where? And if not, why not? I know there is alot of speculation out there at the moment, but I need something concrete.

And Malcster/Matperk, I'm sure there is a MacBook appreciation thread somewhere on this site. So please aim your praise in that direction. It's not really what I want to be reading right now... Many thanks.

mmmcheese

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2006
Try taking the battery out and then trying to boot it. If it still doesn't work, put the battery back in and try booting it again. This might sound weird, but it happens on my iBook sometimes...but I think that in my case, it's because I soon need a new battery. Stranger things have happened though.

Abulia

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2004
Kushiel's Scion
matperk said:
I agree but this is a dangerous position to edge towards. You're essentially devaluing the complaints of those that DO have problems. ("Oh, you're just the vocal minority.")

That may be true, but any significant defect on a $2K device -- computer or otherwise -- is unsatisfactory IMO.

It puzzles me that companies shouldn't be held accountable for defects after taking your money. Personally I've had two DOA iMacs from Apple and replaced THREE backplanes on a G5 Rev A iMac; are we seriously stating that Apple has "no problems" and that anyone who has an issue -- especially with a Rev A -- is just "unlucky," "a complainer" or some such?

Malcster

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2005
Bristol, UK
Don M. said:
It puzzles me that companies shouldn't be held accountable for defects after taking your money. Personally I've had two DOA iMacs from Apple and replaced THREE backplanes on a G5 Rev A iMac; are we seriously stating that Apple has "no problems" and that anyone who has an issue -- especially with a Rev A -- is just "unlucky," "a complainer" or some such?

I agree completely, im as much of an diehard apple fan as the next person, and i think the macbook pro is an awesome machine, but im not going to defend faulty hardware.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Don M. said:

No... I think "we" are saying that the defect rate is low in comparison to other companies, based on available data. Although many people suspect their quality is on a slide currently, and that is concerning, especially if data becomes available to back that up. When you (or anyone) *does* have a problem, though, the fact that the defect rate is low doesn't make it any less of a hassle for you. Your computer isn't a statistic. It's a single defective unit. And Apple should be held to high standards, that are consistent with the premium price we pay for their hardware, when this happens....

Abulia

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2004
Kushiel's Scion
mkrishnan said:
No... I think "we" are saying that the defect rate is low in comparison to other companies, based on available data.
Out of curiosity, what data? Is there a listing of Apple's defect rate? I don't recall seeing this anywhere so I'd be interested to see how the assumption that Apple's defect rate is "low" when, in fact, it could actually be "high."

durkbox

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2006
London UK
This is how it stands. I popped into the Apple Store on Regent Street London, to see what the procedure is for the £2000 (inc extra RAM) piece of kit (yes, that was kit) that does not work anymore. I have to wait until midnight tonight to book an appointment with one of their 'genius' salespersons/engineers. Then god only knows how long it will be before I get it back. Or I could pay another £79! to have it fast tracked through their repairs system with their ProCare service... I know this is 'standard' but I'm really not a happy fella right now. And no, It was nothing to do with domestic violence. That really made me (and my girlfriend) laugh though.:p

wasimyaqoob

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2005
London, England.
Thats what happens when you buy the first of something... No problems with my darling PowerBook G4, when all the problems are fixed with the MacBook Pro's i'll buy one then.

technicolor

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2005
><><><><
matperk said:

I love mine. It's the best computer I've ever owned.

I has a whine, but I don't mind it at all. I never even notice it.
I agree.

durkbox

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2006
London UK
Anyway... Back to the thread. Had my appointment at the store with a genius last night. His diagnosis - Faulty I/O leading to damaged logic board... 8-10 days to reapair... Great...:mad:

Out of curiosity I checked the repair status site first thing this morning and as if by magic, the repair is complete... Now I know what curiosity did to the cat, so I am refraining from getting too excited.

Max on Macs

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2006
Milton Keynes, UK
iGav said:
Lots by the sounds of it. :eek:

I don't think even the TiBook had the same number of issues when it launched :eek:

How long have you had it? will you get a replacement or will it end up having to go in for repair?

Apple really need to tighten their quality up. It's f**king dreadful... it really is. :rolleyes:
It sucks that so many pople have had problem yes. But I think the number of people having problems is very much lower than the number of people who have bought them and haven't had problem and haven't been to the Apple discussion boards. People will talk about problems, but very rarely will they talk about how good things are.

Also we need to consider that there have been a lot of changes with the whole Intel switch and that this is Apple's first attempt at a laptop with this new architecture and design (internal design that is) so so long as they resolve the problems for the people who have them then I don't think it's fair to say it's 'f**king dreadful'

lieb39

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2005
Melbourne, Australia
I got my PB 15" (last revision) a few months before the MBP; when I first heard that the MBP was released I was a little ticked off, although after reading a few reviews and reading the few issues (a long with the absence of a few things, e.g. Firewire 800) I'm pretty happy I got my PB. Anyways, just felt like saying that... haha.

Cheers,

lieb39

durkbox

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2006
London UK
I'll stick with my faulty MBP thanks... ITS SO FAST... When it works that is...
Power Book, Pah! So last year!:p

Texas04

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2005
Texas
I love my MBP... there will be a few problems with every computer... no company is perfect, though it is wrong for people to pay a premium for a computer and get a faulty one, it is still much better than a Windows... and my MBP no longer has a whine? wierd yes but its not there anymore.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.