My MacBook died (harddrive fail)

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by piatti, Mar 6, 2012.

1. piatti macrumors 6502a

piatti

2. simsaladimbamba

Any 2.5" S-ATA HDD and SSD with a maximum height of 9.5 mm will work. It is up to you, how much money you want to spend on an SSD, 16 GB should be enough for running the OS without any further applications besides browsers. 32 GB would be better though.
    MacBook, MacBook Pro: Replacing the Hard Disk Drive, transferring data to the new HDD

the guide includes:
    • 0. Identify your MacBook or MacBook Pro
    • 1. Getting a new HDD
    • 2. Guides to replace the internal HDD with a newer one
    • 3. Transferring data from the old HDD to the new HDD
    • 4. Using the optical disk drive (ODD) slot for placing an SSD or HDD inside the MB/P (OPTIBAY)

3. piatti thread starter macrumors 6502a

piatti

4. simsaladimbamba

5. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

What is your budget? An SSD is a great addition to a laptop - there will be a nice increase in performance (until you become used to it) :) .

6. piatti thread starter macrumors 6502a

piatti

7. simsaladimbamba

32 GB is not really ideal for Windows AND Mac OS X. But it can be done, if you install only the bare elements, Mac OS X should take about 8 GB, maybe even less. Windows 7 could be around 8 GB too. A Windows VM will be around the same size.
    Better would be 64 GB though.

8. AcesHigh87 macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

hard so say why they are so differently priced. They are both on sale though and were originally the same price. Only difference I can see is that the first one has a 128mb cache (not sure what the second one has, can't find it)

Keep in mind too when looking for SSD's for the old macbooks that they only can use SATA II speed. If you put a SATA III SSD in it will still run but you won't get the usual performance boost. Most times you can save yourself some money because of this by buying a purely SATA II drive.

Also, as mentioned, 32GB is rather small for running multiple OS'. I personally wouldn't try that on anything smaller then 64GB and even that's pushing it depending how many applications and external storage you have.

9. piatti thread starter macrumors 6502a

piatti

10. AcesHigh87 macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

11. piatti thread starter macrumors 6502a

piatti

12. AcesHigh87 macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

Keep in mind with though, if you did that you would need to pay for external storage because OS X alone would take up most of that 16GB and applications would take up the rest. If you don't want to have all your files stored on external storage you'll really need at least 32GB. If you want to have any bootcamp or VM's you'll likely need a 64.

13. piatti thread starter macrumors 6502a

piatti

I think I'm fine with storing all my music and movies on the external. I'll just reserve a few PDF files on the SSD.

BTW the VAIO and MacBook has a peculiar toxic stench to it especially the VAIO, does that stench emanate when the HDD is failing or has failed? The VAIO in particular is so stinky that I worry I might not be able to use it even if I got a SSD for it.

14. piatti thread starter macrumors 6502a

piatti

BTW, do you know which CPU is better, the MacBook or the VAIO?

----------

Ok thanks for this tip. I don't think I'll have any problem with storing all the music files and videos in an external, and the price diff between 32 and 64 is only about $15 for some reason (who would buy the 32GB when they can buy 64GB for only $15 more?)

15. AcesHigh87 macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

I don’t know the clock speed of the Vaio but the CPU’s would be similar as both the Vaio and 2008 macbook use the C2D processor.

16. piatti thread starter macrumors 6502a

piatti

How does that processor compare to the one in MBP in my sig?

17. simsaladimbamba

The Vaio's and 2008 MB's Core 2 Duo CPU (processor) are slower than your 2010 MBP with an i-Core CPU.