My Macbook Experience

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by msheldrick, Jul 24, 2008.

1. msheldrick macrumors regular

Ok, this may be a long post.

Someday in February i got my MacBook. When I unboxed it i saw that the display was a little cloudy, i didn't worry because i didn't want to make a fuss about it then about 2 months later the SuperDrive failed so I went to my local PowerHouse and got a replacement because the case around the SuperDrive had apparently sagged and blocked it off. That was fine, so i got my new MacBook home set it up, it had a remarkably better screen so i was happy. Then one day i woke up to turn it on and all I got was a grey screen. I got the laptop repaired because of a dead HDD, apart from losing school work it was okay. THEN around 2 weeks later i turned my Macbook on to find it powered on for around 2 seconds and powered back off, i rang AppleCare and it was arranged to be picked up. Today I got my replacement MacBook only to find that i have a red line in the middle of the screen running all the way down the screen, i'm ringing apple tomorrow to get it fixed.

Here is the questions am i entitled to an upgrade? and am I experiencing extremely bad luck or has his happened to other people?

2. Sherman Homan macrumors 6502

I haven't heard a string of bad luck like that since the 12" G3 iBooks! Apple does have a three strikes policy, you probably should look into it.

3. msheldrick thread starter macrumors regular

Are you able to tell me where to look because i can't find info in Google after searching "Apple Three Strikes Policy"

4. Sherman Homan macrumors 6502

Back in the G3 iBook days, it was three strikes and it (the laptop) was out. I have a recent client with a MacBook Pro who got a replacement after three successive monitor deaths. Call AppleCare, be persistent and polite, they have been very responsive.

5. msheldrick thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for your help, i'll get back to you on what's happening

6. Sherman Homan macrumors 6502

Please do, I would like to know if my experience is legit Apple policy. And good luck, you deserve to have a working 'Book!

7. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

They do have a lemon policy, but that is typically when getting the SAME machine repaired several times. Where the case here doesn't seem to be as such. If I read correctly, this is your 2nd Macbook since February.

If I was you I would ask for a complete replacement. You are still under your 1 year Apple Warranty.

Did you purchase the Applecare warranty as well? I would suggest doing that within the first year.

8. msheldrick thread starter macrumors regular

I didn't get applecare because it costs around $400 for it here! So I got a warranty offered by powerhouse instead

9. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

Now I haven't heard of a three-strike-policy by Apple, but that still doesn't mean that it doesn't exist. And even then, in the details of the included 1-year warranty they would only be required to repair/replace the machine. They are not required to give you anything extra, although with Apple's customer satisfaction record, if you get a little nosey, then you might find yourself with a free notebook case or iWork package or something of the like. But I do believe that Apple has a lemon policy, but as a user before has pointed out, that generally only applies to issues with the same machine, not separate machines.

How close are you to an Apple Store, not an authorized Apple servicer, but an actual Apple Store? If you are able to get over to an Apple store then I would make a genius bar appointment and bring it in to Apple yourself. If you are not able to make it to an actual Apple store, then take advantage of the included one-year Apple-care and get on the phone with Apple and request to have it sent in for replacement/repair. And if you do that, be sure to make known all of the issues that you have had before.

Good luck man, I have never heard of a bad-luck streak running this long.

10. msheldrick thread starter macrumors regular

the nearest apple store is about 900km's away!

11. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

In which case I would find a way to send it into Apple and have them take care of it personally instead of an authorized servicer. Just be sure that you let them know of all of the other issues that you had before.

12. msheldrick thread starter macrumors regular

13. trek1500 macrumors member

trek1500

Wow...I sympathize with you..so far I feel pretty lucky..my MBP is perfect in every way!

14. jaikob macrumors 6502

jaikob

All you have to do is:

1. Call Applecare (The # is on the support page)
    2. Say " I've had my macbook for (insert time period) and I've had about (insert # of repairs), all of which lead into another problem. I now have another problem, and instead of getting it repaired this time, I want to know if I am entitled to a replacement.)

Rep: Ahh I'll see what I can do, let me put you on hold.

Rep: Yes, we can send you a replacement, we will ship a box to put the old unit in, send it back to us, and we will send you a replacement.

Rep: Is there anything else I can do for you?

You: No thank you.

Rep: thanks for calling apple and have a nice day.

15. msheldrick thread starter macrumors regular

That's what i did to get the replacement i have now, the problem is i have missed out on around 2 weeks of study now and can't really afford to have yet another half broken replacement

16. msheldrick thread starter macrumors regular

Well i just rang Apple and they put me on hold for about 5 minutes and then they hung up on me, what now?

17. LeahM macrumors 6502a

LeahM

Call back, and I think you should definitely get AppleCare, especially after your luck.

18. msheldrick thread starter macrumors regular

It's being replaced again so hopefully third time lucky! They also gave me BT Mighty Mouse and iWork '08... yay!

19. msheldrick thread starter macrumors regular

Well... My replacement has crapped out on me again! the same thing happened to the case around the SuperDrive and just as i was copying things over the network, it had a Kernel Panic and now Beeps 3 times on start up... I was going to the Apple Store tomorrow in Chadstone. let's see what they'll do. Sigh...

20. tongteh macrumors 6502

21. msheldrick thread starter macrumors regular

ok then... the defective RAM got replaced but they refused to fix the case issue. so they stuck the Black Apple Stick thingy in the superdrive slot and left it for 5 minutes... let's hope it sticks

22. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

wow. what bad luck. hopefully your luck will start to turn around