My macbook fan is almost constantly on, running hot and sluggish

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by oakiegu007, May 2, 2008.

1. oakiegu007 macrumors member

I have a 2 GHz Intel Core Duo macbook. I'm running it with 2 GB of ram and on 10.5.2. In the past couple of months, my fan seems to run whenever I do anything. As a result, and I assume it slows down the cpu, everything grinds to a halt. If I view video, I get a few frames every few seconds. As I'm typing, the text is lagging. I have nothing running and my activity monitor says I have around a half gb of memory free and 40% of my cpu is idle.

What's going on here...

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

The CPU produces more heat under load and then the fans spin up. What processes are using CPU time in Activity Monitor?

3. oakiegu007 thread starter macrumors member

hmm

although I think I'm confused between Idle cpu and unused cpu. Under Safari, it reads 99.9 cpu. Regardless, this happens with many programs.

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Unused?

What are you doing in Safari when this happens? What about other programs? Have you tried reinstalling OS X?

Attached Files:

• ac.png
      ac.png
      File size:
      8 KB
      Views:
  5. oakiegu007 thread starter macrumors member

nevermin about the unused comment.

it depends. before i was just on the macrumors site. if i start up warcraft, go on youtube, open photoshop, run NeoOffice...

I haven't tried reinstalling. I probably should wipe my system.

6. MacAodh macrumors regular

My macbook began doing this too for a while. Tried reinstaling and everything and nothing worked... till one day it just worked again... odd

7. SubliminalMac macrumors member

Memory/CPU usage fixes

You could try to run a utility that automates your cron scripts, which is what probably happened to make your computer work well again.

Try running cocktail or something of that nature 2-3 times a week. It will keep your computer working well. Always make a backup as well(time machine) just in case it is an issue that this wont fix, you can restore.

8. PeggyD macrumors 6502a

It could be the fan is failing. I just recently had to have the right fan in my 2-year-old MacBook Pro replaced by AppleCare. If you live near an Apple Store, make an appointment with the Genius Bar & have them take a look.

9. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I don't see any reason to do this.

Are you running all the application simultaneously?

YouTube would be Flash, Warcraft would be a game, and NeoOffice would be loading an entire suite of applications.

This could be possible as well but the user needs to inform more of their CPU usage given their applications.