My macbook freezes all the time!!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Keto10, Jun 5, 2009.

1. Keto10 macrumors newbie

when I go back on the computer in the morning, the computer seems to choke on everything - anything I do gets me a beachball (click OK on the "you have been disconnected from AIM" dialog? Beachball. Trying to open a window in an app? Beachball. Trying to open a menu? Beachball). After a few minutes, the computer just freezes and so caant do anything about it. I had to hard reboot and the same thing happens after the start up.

This happened a few times, but today was the worst - the computer just froze. I can move the mouse, but that's it. The GUI is totally unresponsive. I had to hard reboot to get out.

Any help?

2. Zazoh macrumors 6502a

Zazoh

Are you putting to sleep, shutting down, or what? Is there a process running you are unaware of when you do this?

3. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

Yes, you need to check to see if something is running you're not aware of that may be making it happen. You said this happens overnight, so here's what I'd do. Go into your Applications folder > Utilities folder > Open "Activity Monitor". This program shows you everything running on your Mac. If you organize it by clicking the "CPU" usage bar, you can watch to see what apps are causing problems.

I'd keep this open overnight, and then in the morning, see if anything is using a large percentage of the CPU. That will be the app causing the problem.

4. Keto10 thread starter macrumors newbie

i dont think there is a specific app that makes my macbook freeze, it happens to all apps i press, it freezes all the time, i tried going on the activity monitor app but it freezes when i click and then i have to reboot it. i havnt been on my mac for the 3 days as it will freeze when it starts up. im using my old laptop to help me find the problem. I leave it on sleep at night or its left on.

5. viperguy macrumors 6502

Did you upgrade the RAM yourself by any chance?
    It looks like you might have a hardware problem if no app is causing the problem...

6. Keto10 thread starter macrumors newbie

upgrade RAM, no i havent done that

what will that mean, what do i have to do?

7. CLindel macrumors newbie

That's interesting. I have a MacBook, and it's my first Mac. I have only had it for a couple of months but I had heard that Mac almost never lock up, yet my MacBooks seems to also have some trouble getting going in the morning.

If I turn it off at night, it reboots and works just fine in the morning. But when I close the cover before going to bed, I have a hard time doing anything with it for the first half hour or so - and generally, I'm not trying to do anything more complicated than opening a Safari window.

It's not just Safari or a problem accessing a web page though. When I try to open an application, it takes a long time to do so. Sometimes I have to close out of the application or even reboot in order to get it to wake up and get to work.

8. Keto10 thread starter macrumors newbie

WHat did you do to solve this problem? Mine macbook you cant use as it just freezes all the time and it stays frozen untill i turn it off, and i can to anything with it. I really need to know what to do now, as it has all my work inside that i cant get to as it keeps freezing before i get to it

9. Keto10 thread starter macrumors newbie

10. Geoff. macrumors 6502

Geoff.

11. Ricanlegend macrumors 6502a

It sounds like you need to go to the apple store