My macbook goes evil

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by zeemeerman2, Oct 22, 2010.

1. zeemeerman2 macrumors 6502

What's wrong with my MacBook? I got it from mid 2008, and now it slowly breaks down everything.

- WiFi cannot be accessed (it searches and searches but don't find my home WiFi network)
    - Applications can't be opened (They bounce in the dock and then go back to their quitted state, standing still in the dock, without the little blue orb.)
    - Can't empty the Trash, it just don't do anything when I command it to empty the Trash.

That happened all just a few minutes ago. Half an hour ago, everything was still perfect. I restarted it and now it's okay again.

But the day before yesterday, when I woke my MacBook up from sleep, the brightness of my screen didn't get on again. It was hard to see, but the display was on, only not the lights behind it. Okay, back to sleep and get up again, hoping it got better.
    Now it didn't display anything, as it was still in standby.

Hard reset, all works again.

An application named MS Word froze my whole computer by clicking on the Text color option menu. No, not froze. Just delay everything I do with a solid five minutes, making working impossible.

Hard reset again, all works again.

What's wrong with my computer?

A month ago, nothing was wrong.

Oh, yeah, while typing this, I thought there was a piece of dust on my spotlight icon. It wasn't, there was a black dot that... watch yourself:
    [​IMG]

That's the first time in two years I see that happening.

Any help?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The dot in the icon means Spotlight is indexing, which will use system resources, slowing other things down.

3. zeemeerman2 thread starter macrumors 6502

That's one thing. But it can't keep my computer from waking up, disallow me from finding a WiFi access point, or any other thing I just summed up?

Then again, why does it need to index right now? It never has in the two years I got this laptop.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

5. chadua macrumors member

You might also be having a problem with your power supply.
    Although I don't think any of the problems you are having could be related to the PRAM it might be worth a shot to try resetting it http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1379
    The non responsive apps sounds like a hard drive problem, but that could be from a bad drive or from the power supply going bad.

If you make a new user account does the new user still have problems?

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You're right; it has nothing to do with PRAM: